The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 ford expedition 5.4 not running right. If you step on the gas quick at idle it will Give a slight hesitation and then rev up. While driving it sputters some but is really bad when it needs to down shift. I changed the fuel filter. Nothing. I cleaned the maf sensor. Nothing. I am not positive the maf sensor is good though. It had a lean code bank one and two which I cleared and they have not returned. Before I spend over 100 dollars for a maf sensor I thought I'd check here for ideas??? Thanks

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Clean the throttle body out good with a toothbrush and throttle body cleaner............

between that and the MAF sensor would be my guess.......

You didn't happen to change the battery in it recently did you?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
check the vacuum lines , I know on the ford explorers they have a plastic elbow on one of the vacuum lines that is known to crack but I dont know if the expedition have that or not

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Not sure if the 2000 have these or not, but a friend of mine had some issues like this and it was two of the individual coil packs at the plugs.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
trado said:
2011/2012 winter changed the battery.

I scanned it for codes
OK, try cleaning the MAF and the throttle body good.........it seems that these new vehicles with computers will train themselves to run "dirty" over time.......when you change the battery, it resets the computer, and it thinks that it is dealing with a 100% clean engine......cleaning the MAF and throttle body good should take care of the problem

I had the same problem with my truck this spring.....I changed the battery out, it would idle, and accelerate, but as soon as you let off of the accelerator it would shut down.......it was also starved for power a little.......but I cleaned the MAF and throttle body out, and it took care of the problem.....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cleaned the maf with contact cleaner with no change. I do not believe it is the coil packs I replace one of them before but this is not really a misfire.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/throttlebodyclean.php

Follow the above link and clean your throttle body. I do it once a year and the difference from dirty to clean is like a new engine! If you've never done it you'll be unpleasantly surprised at how much crud is in there. When I first cleaned mine the ports were almost completely plugged shut! Get three cans of throttle body cleaner, some thick pipe cleaners, old tooth brush and some rags. It's not nearly as difficult as it appears and it's every bit worth the hour is takes.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Buckshot I worked on the expedition this week a little and took your advice on cleaning the throttle body with a toothbrush. The head of the toothbrush is now inside the intake manifold lol. I will now tear the throttle body off to finish and hopefully get the piece of the toothbrush back. Throttle body cleaner ate that plastic in two minutes and caused it to break. I will never do that again I ain't been able to brush my teeth since

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well last week I finally got the toothbrush outta my intake. Tore it down and changed plugs, rebuilt injectors cleaned everything and still runs rough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts