The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting an 88 bronco full size. Has 351w and a manual transmission that needs rebuilt or replaced. According to wikipedia, all 88 broncos with 351w motors came stock with a c6 tranny(auto) my questions are, how do I tell for sure which tranny I have, what year motor I may have, and what may or may not bolt up in place of current. Will keep you guys posted on the build.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Been a while since I had my 79 Bronco, Look for the numbers on the block and bell housing and look it up on line. Lots of Ford sites out there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In 88 standard transmission was an option that only came in the 300 6 cyl or the 302 v-8. Either the motor was swapped out or transmission. I would most likely bet your engine was swapped.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I know 302, 351 w and 351 Cleveland had the same bolt pattern in older years. 351m and 400 were different than the other 351 for bolt pattern, except for a very limited few. Not sure on the bolt pattern on newer motors.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Folks the new tranny will be done by wednesday, if anyone is following this.

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
300 was a good ol' motor, if ya weren't in a big hurry to get anywhere, as I recall?

Two of my farmboy cousins had trucks with that engine some years back. One was a 2WD w/four speed manual and granny gear. Never had a problem pulling a loaded bale kicker wagon with it - until the day the step bumper came partially off, while hauling a load of hay over to his daughter's farm in NY. Stout old truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts