The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any F150 owners or former owners out there willing to give their pros and cons about them. I test drove a 2013 STX today, and it seems like a pretty decent truck. Got um down to $28,652, from $36,000 , or so they led me to believe.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have owned 2 so far. Current one has over 100K on it, 2007. Runs great. Only truck I will own. I have not done anything to it but normal maintenance.

My dad owns a 2012 and uncle a 2013. Both have had great results so far.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I now have my second F-150. The only issue I had with the first one was it blew the #7 spark plug out of the motor after I had the 100,000 mile service done and the plugs changed. That was fairly common to the Triton motors. I don't believe they have the Tritons anymore. Even the one I have now has the 5.4. It has plenty of power, plenty of room inside and does everything I need it to. I run 275/70/17 tires on it, which are a little bigger than the originals and get around 15.5 mpg around town. On a trip to Maine I got 20.1 fully loaded. All of them have their little issues but I have no complaints. BTW, we have a 2013 F-150 at the plant where I work and it is just noticeably better to me than my 2007. I think you could make a far worse choice.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I went from an 07 with the 5.4L to an 11 with 5.0L. Night and day difference between the two. Everything about the new truck is better. My dad has an 11 with the ecoboost and is having some trouble with it. It cuts out when trying to kick in the turbo. I only have 16k miles on mine and its been trouble free. I get around 17mpg going back and forth to work and around town. I've seen 22mpg on the highway and for a fullsize truck with 360hp, I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
My 2002 is in need of a general tune up, but otherwise I can't complain. I abuse the thing, have wrecked it, run firewood with it, pulled boats, regularly pull a camper, take it places most vehicles shouldn't go, etc.

I blew a plug around 50k miles that wasn't a cheap fix, known problem as mentioned before. I go through more tie-rod ends than anyone I know, but I attribute that to being wrecked/frame straightened and all the firewood hauling on rough stuff.

Since it's paid for I'll run it until it's dead. Then I'll likely replace it with another Ford. Maybe a GM product with my GM Card points....really on the fence about that.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i owned one for almost 20 years. it was a good truck and really didn't have too many problems and no expensive ones. it ended up rotting out bad though and i sold it for $750 to someone with more energy and auto body skills than me. all in all it was a good truck but the new ones seem to have the shorter beds for the quad cabs than comparable dodges so i bought a used dodge instead this time. those 5.5' beds are useless to me and with teenagers i need a full quad cab.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
For half tons you alls gas milage that you all think is good is terrible.My 1998 Chevy 3500 single wheel 454 stick w/out air bare bones truck that I bought new and still own will break over the 20mpg on the open road.The around town milage drops only slightly.Not promoting Chevy but for a new hi tech modern truck that milage is terrible.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Heard a story on the radio about the F-150 today, they said they are made in over 600,000 different configurations between all the different combinations of options available. Kinda crazy to think about.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Ya know,I was havin a talk with my family the other day.People pay insane prices for trucks today and no one blinks an eye.But if someone has a new muscle or sports car or luxury sedan everyone sterotypes them like they are loaded whereas new p/ups mostly always cost thousands more.Crazy.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What surprised me was the prices on some of the used ones. Some places are asking 25-30g's for used ones with 40-50k miles on them. Or you find reasonably priced that's 2-3 years old, but has over 100k miles.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Test drove one back last summer. Very nice. I even said it was like driving a luxury car. So quiet and smooth. Just unreal.
Of course, the $45,000+ sticker was unreal, too. The real nice ones are $50,000-$55,000.
I kept my 08 Nissan. Paid it off at 53,000 miles. Should have a lot of free miles left.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I'd probably be driving a 2010 F-150 right now but my Ford dealer wanted to play hardball. I was pitching and have 3 years on my trouble free Tundra.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have a '10 that I bought new, at the time I couldnt pass on the price. Its a 5.4l ecoboost V8, XLT Tuxedo Black and the only problem I had so far was the 8pt that ran out in front of me. The other day I was at a private chucker hunt and an older gentleman had an F250 that he just bought. I had my tailgate down and he noticed my "Old Man Step", and couldnt get enough of it, he would of swapped tailgates if I let him. My buddy has a dodge and he always says how quiet the cab is in my Ford. Just a heads up, right now Im getting 14.7mpg's, its always lower in the winter though.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
A Ford truck is like an old John Deere tractor, when they are totally shot, you can only expect about 10 more years out of them ! I bought my last new one a few years back as a "Leftover". They dropped the price 9 grand. Since I use them until they are dust, I don't care about resale value.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
This is certainly not a knock against the F-150s, but I would highly recommend looking into the Silverados as well.

I bought a new Silverado LT 2 years ago, which was better equipped than the STX for a few thousand less.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
THINBLUELINE said:
What surprised me was the prices on some of the used ones. Some places are asking 25-30g's for used ones with 40-50k miles on them. Or you find reasonably priced that's 2-3 years old, but has over 100k miles.
You are 100% right.We talk about that all of the time too.It is like who in their right mind would pay those prices for a used truck with those miles on it.Nuts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought a 2012 F150 5.0L King Ranch 4x4 crew cab, with the 6 1/2' bed last August. I also put a Leer 100XQ cap on it, plus a few other accessories.

I would probably have considered getting the "EGO Boost" engine, but being relatively new, these engines have had a few more problems on them than the more time-tested 5.0L engines, plus the Ego boost engine would have cost $2,500 meor than the already pricey truck that I got ($1,500 more for the engine, and no incentive versus $1,000 on the 5.0L at the time). I figured I didn't need the reported extra 1-2 mpg in MPG that the Ego Boost reportedly gets compared to the 5.0L, and the couple extra HP and torque.

I've owned other F150's in the past, but this truck is a considerable improvement over them. (I also presently own a 2011 F350 KR dually 4x4.) This F150 is a wonderful handling and driving (from a passenger comfort standpoint) truck, and I get around 20 mpg highway on it in MT (slightly less in PA driving at lower elevations).

About the only criticism I have with the truck, and it really is more a personal preference issue, is that I would have liked a slightly stiffer suspension. This truck feels more like driving an SUV than a pickup truck - then again, I've been driving mostly Ford Super Duty trucks (F250 - F450) for the past few years - so this F150 may just take some getting used to.

John

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
fyi, the ford dealer in canfeild, ohio, advertises f 150's at 27% off sticker. thats $26,280 for a $36,000 sticker.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts