The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The media is missing the real story behind the “postponement” of the largest outdoor show in America. This is a story of ignorance, bias and a gross misunderstanding of America and Americans......

Reed Exhibitions prohibition also extended to images of modern sporting rifles. They wanted to whitewash a firearm category with Orwellian zeal from the show because they deem these semi-automatic rifles to be too militaristic for civilian use. They mandated this ban at America’s largest outdoor show, a show that regularly attracts 200,000 outdoor enthusiasts and pumps an estimated $44 million into the region’s economy.....

Years ago when I first started editing for Outdoor Life magazine my boss urged me to go. He said, “People drive for hundreds of miles to go to the Harrisburg show. Go and you’ll see the America we put out a magazine for each month. You’ll see the America the media here in New York City and more doesn’t understand.”....

Now it seems to me that many in the media should go—if, that is, the event is held this year. They should drop their preconceptions and interview these people. They’d be shocked what they’d find. ....

Reed Exhibitions’ leadership should go, too. Sure, they do over 500 events in 39 countries every year. But clearly they’re out of touch with Americans. Clearly they hadn’t a clue what they were doing when in some corporate boardroom—perhaps at their headquarters in England—they decided to ban modern sporting rifles from this show.

The backlash was fast and grassroots. Reports that companies were pulling out of the show quickly began to snowball...........

These firearms are mainstream among hunters and in high demand. How would the presence of these firearms “distract from the theme of hunting and fishing”? Saying that is like banning sports cars from a car show while saying sporty, fast, cool and expensive autos aren’t popular or even particularly useful.............

Meanwhile, other shows across the country are announcing they are not banning modern sporting rifles from their conventions. For example, The Portland Sportsman’s Show—the second largest consumer sportsmen’s gathering in the country—contacted The Outdoor Wire to say they have “no intention of outlawing any legal sporting product from their exhibit floor.”...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter...-about-america/

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second page address political issues.

Ths is one to link and pass along.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Thanks for the link. I like how they said their original decison was to keep it about hunting and fishing. The original decison came after the decision to add a wing dedicated to the modern rifles.

They know the truth. Trying to spin it as they have is despicable.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Again, this article needs widlely circulated. A great article to send to those mot so much on our side.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Thanks Bluetick!! Nice find and great article.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Thanks Bluetick. Great read. I agree with others who think that the NRA should hold a press confrence to explain how this all came about. They were one of the last to withdraw, many of the vendors and most of the outdoor celebs withdrew days before the NRA.

If I didn't keep up with what was happening here, just by reading this story I might think that the NRA had a bigger part in the shows demise.

I'm sure the pro gun control people will spin it that way. They already claim that the NRA misrepresents most of it's members.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
A great find, BT.

I keep making three points:
First, people who say these "tactical" rifles aren't suitable for hunting are speaking from a narrow perspective. Sure, they're not suitable where long-standing laws prohibit them, as in Pennsylvania. Besides, the .223 round is marginal as a deer cartridge. But...

... in the South where wild pigs are rampant, they are the weapon of choice for shooting them. In the west they are often used for coyote hunting. If I lived in one of those places, I'd want one.

Second, being marginal for deer, they are far less powerful as the public thinks -- the most popular deer cartridge is at least 2½ times as powerful.

Third, they are not military rifles. No military in the world uses them. Nor are the designed purely for killing people. In some military situations, it's better to wound an enemy than kill him because not only do you take him out of the fight, you take someone out of the fight who needs to come to the aid of the wounded.

Fourth, they are not the weapon of choice for criminals. of the 8253 murders by firearm in 2011, only 323 murders were carried out by rifles -- and only a fraction of those were so-called "assault" rifles. None were military assault rifles.

Steve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts