The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you consider the best things to forage for:

Ginko, truffles, Ginseng, Morels, walnuts, blueberries, chestnuts?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
When I was very young, my Grandmother took me foraging. She would find mushrooms, wild teaberry, sassafras, and a lot of things that would end up in her cooking or pantry. I have said many times that I wished I would have paid more attention to her and her harvest than the things most little boys care about....bugs, snakes, etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zhuntman said:
Can you really find truffles in Pa?
Yes, but they are not very good quality truffles...

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
If I may recommend...When you do forage for anything in Penns Woods or the outdoors... Make sure it's not just off the main roads...PENN DEPT OF TRANS...Uses all kinds of chemicals to kill weeds along the road and to help deice roads in the winter...This stuff collects along the road and on bushes and along comes families and pick black berries along roads and who knows what harmful chemicals they are injesting..Go deeper off the road to pick berries, pick shrooms and all of that good eating wild stuff for safety sake..

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Very good point Buck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What are the best things to forage for? To me the answer has a lot to do with why you are foraging. If you're trying to survive out in the woods then berries, ramps, nuts, and other higher calorie, nutrient foods are best. If you're trying to make some money morels, and ginseng are better. If you're looking for things like your Grandmother, well anything you like....different times of year offer different stuff. Make it a point to take regular walks with a basket, a sharp knife, and low power binoculars (to save you climbing up a steep incline to discover that the morel was actually a leaf curled just so). While Morels are really tastey, they are finicky and sometimes come up in a very short portion of the spring. Other mushrooms are also quite tastey but are available in greater quantities for much longer (chanterelles, black trummpets, oyster, boletes).

·
Banned
268 Posts
I stumbled on some wild bluebarrys last summer fishing the best thing i have ever tasted cant wate till this summer to get some more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts