The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today and loaded up on Shellbarks today. I picked up a plastic grocery bag 3/4 full in 10 minutes, I thought the bag was going to break before I got back to my truck. I will let them dry a while and then get the vise busy to crack them. Then the work starts. But, that nut cake with butter cream icing will make it worth while.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are my water bottles for my setter.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Is that a wrist rocket sling shot I see in the background? I can make out what looks like surgical tubing. Might be a fun way to crack those nuts, shooting them at a cinder block wall.

·
Registered
742 Posts
KaptnCottontail said:
Is that a wrist rocket sling shot I see in the background? I can make out what looks like surgical tubing. Might be a fun way to crack those nuts, shooting them at a cinder block wall.
It might be. Maybe John was shooting them out of the trees to make it sporting.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, it is a piece of dry rawhide, leftover from when I made the Sioux buffalo lance.

·
Registered
626 Posts
PICKING THE MEAT OUT! What a pain. makes for a long couple evenings.

·
Registered
626 Posts
MOST HICKORYS HAVE A VERY TIGHTLY PACKED NUT, THE INSIDE IS THE SAME TYPE OF CHANNEL SYSTEM YOU FINDIN BLACK WALNUTS, BUTTERNUTS EXCEPT ON A SMALLER SCALE. QUESTION, CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE DIF. BETWEEN A SHELLBARK AND A SHAGBARK?

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I thought he'd meant Shagbark. I have plenty of em, but I'll tell ya what, if you drag your feet when the nuts start to fallin, you lose. The Squirrels are very proficient, not to mention diligent, at getting to the nut. I went to look last year a bit after they started and all was left were empty hulls.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally done cracking and picking the hickory nuts pictured on the first post. About 200 nuts yielded 2 cups of nut meat.

·
Registered
742 Posts
John S said:
Finally done cracking and picking the hickory nuts pictured on the first post. About 200 nuts yielded 2 cups of nut meat.
Did you have worms in any of them? As a kid we used to pick them and eat them but it seemed like there were worms in many of them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not a one, nice clean big nuts. In a couple of days there will be a hickory nut cake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts