The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some good number of yote tracks showing up close to my coon areas, i havent waxed my traps yet and with xmass here i cant make any orders right now to buy wax.

would it be worth planting unwaxed traps for them right now? or will they just steer clear or dig them ?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
deends on if they "stink" or not and how fast they rust up under the ground. lots of guys in other states get yotes in unwaxed traps but they have dry ground. waxing does help some with odor i believe but the biggest pluses are trap speed and pr tection. stick a oderless bare trap in the ground in dry dirt and it will be fine until it rains or the dirt draws dampness and then you end up with a rust ball before long.

·
Registered
932 Posts
bobcat said:
deends on if they "stink" or not and how fast they rust up under the ground. lots of guys in other states get yotes in unwaxed traps but they have dry ground. waxing does help some with odor i believe but the biggest pluses are trap speed and pr tection. stick a oderless bare trap in the ground in dry dirt and it will be fine until it rains or the dirt draws dampness and then you end up with a rust ball before long.
Well said..

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe i'll throw out my new #2's that still need a bit more rust. they were degreased pressure washed and have been hanging out on the telephone pole for a few weeks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The guy that gave me a clue to trapping canines doesn't wax his traps. Boils in logwood and sets...not saying it is right or wrong but with that many catches for him, it works. I wax just because lol....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts