The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best carbon arrows for the money? I dont have a price range, i just want to know for overall accuracy, speed, and force upon contact, which are the best?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
the most durable and longest lasting for a decent price are the beman ics hunter 340s. the carbon express and other companys arrows dont seem to be as tough.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Gold Tip! This is what I have used for the past 10+ years. They are durable and last as long as you can find them, lol!!!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Beeman ICS hunter elites are a much better arrow and not the most expensive/ not the least expensive. guy at my local shop compared my elites to the basic Beeman ICS hunter's and was blown away. the elites handle BH's very well but are hard to find unless the shop is a full blown Beeman dealer. Order mine from a Wisconsin shop when i need them and at a great price.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I bought some Cabela's Stalker Extreme Carbons a few weeks back. I like them so far. The only issue I have had is an insert came out but most likely the guy that cut the arrows and put the inserts in, didn't clean out the dust before putting the insert in. They are .003" Straightness and Cabelas has some other arrows which are cheaper that are .006". I thought they were a good buy. The nocks say "E" on them for Easton I would assume. I used to shoot Easton Aluminum arrows but now I switched to carbon and wanted to try something that wasn't to expensive so I am trying Cabela brand. Don't shoot too much right now but so far the arrows seem good. Can get these arrows $70 a dozen with Blazer vanes.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Gold Tip...

I used to use The XT hunters, a heck of an arrow. I switched to Gold Tip Pro Hunters lately and will never look back. Properly spined and setup for you and your bow, they are really tough to beat.

However, there's lots of good arrows out there. I'm just one man with one opinion.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I think most of the arrow companies out there make a decent arrow. They will all have a lower end shaft at almost the same price and then a higher( sraighter) priced shaft, again within a few dollars of each other. Remember that a shaft that is .006" for straightness is measured over the full length of the shaft so if you cut them down to say 26 1/2 or 27" they will be closer tolerence than .006". One thing I would add is to stay away from the camo shafts as they pull from targets extremely hard, add a ton of weight, and are a bugger to refletch when you go to scrape off the old glue. I am still using old carbon impact fat shafts and will soon have to decide myself on what to buy as I am running out after several years.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
beaglespackers said:
speed,force upon contact
This will be dictated by grains per inch for your draw length, fletchings, IBO bow rating and broadhead you choose. There is math involved, I think this is prob the NUMBER ONE overlooked area in archery when people want speed and impact force.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
heres an example... i shoot carbon express arrows. my current set is 9.9 grains per inch Select with a 100grain head

28" draw about 250fps, 62lb draw

9.9*28 = 277.2 grains in arrow
15 grains in nock,insert, fletch
100 grain head

392.2 grains per inch total. 54.42ftlbs of Kinetic Energy

By changing to an arrow thats 8gpa and an 85 grain head

arrow= 224 grains
fletch ect =15
head = 85 grains
difference = 68 grains

i expect to gain at minimum 15fps

324 grains total = KE 50.54

So ill gain speed and only lose 4lbs of KE.

< 25 ft. lbs. Small Game (rabbit, groundhog, etc.)

25-41 ft. lbs. Medium Game (deer, antelope, etc.)

42-65 ft. lbs. Large Game (elk, black bear, wild boar, etc.)

> 65 ft. lbs. Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc.)

some food for thought
http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Carbon-Arrows/arrow-selection-guide5.htm

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/images/2009_Arrow_Guide.pdf

http://www.dewclawarchery.com/Kinetic_Engery_Calculator-a/157.htm

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm experimenting with the Cabelas arrows also. If you're looking to cut costs, I think they're the ticket. I still prefer Gold Tips however for my hunting arrows.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Ive been buying redhead arrows for years, something like 50 bucks a dozen, and when I miss it aint the arrows fault.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Gander Mtn sells a "whitetail" carbon arrow that is cheaper that CX or Gold tips. I think that CX actually makes them for Gander. Not too sure.
I use em and they work for me and the price is right.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I use the Cabelas Stalker Extremes as well. I have no complaints. They are light, and hold up well.

Between losses and broken arrows I'm down to 4 arrows. I will be buying them again come spring. Can't beat them for the price.

When I say broken arrows it wasn't because of something stupid. I've hit several things over the years with them, and haven't had any issues. This year I broke 3. 2 were broken by deer (they like to stomp on my arrows when I miss
) and one hit a rock on a bad angle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts