The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had some tamaters sprout up on their own this year, about 7 plants, i imagine some seeds from nextdoor made their way over from last seasons plants.

ive been taking good care of them and they are growing pretty nice. has anyone had plants just shoot up like that. and do you think they will be good tasting?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
they'll be fine. From my experience they seem to be smaller though- the actual tomatoes themself. Volunteers are always a bonus!

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I had a couple come up from seeds from last years tomatoes that fell on the ground. One's in the sweet corn and one's in the onions. I just left them to see how they'd turn out.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these ones i have just started a few weeks ago and are growing like crazy. the guy nextdoor planted some before mine came up and are about half the size.

i just tie them up to the fence as they grow and water a bit during dry spells.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
We fed the meat chickens we had last year tomatoes that were starting to rot when we picked and also the skins and seeds we had left from making juice...

Were the chicken pen was, there are MANY Tomato plants coming up....they look BETTER then the ones we planted in the gardens!

They have a nice bed of chicken crap to feed them!

We might not get many from them seeing there is MANY Plants in 1 area...but we will eat what rippens on them!

My Mom has an area were she has tomato plants come up every year, she NEVER plants tomato plants there......she just lets the rotten ones fall off the plant and rot on the ground, next spring, she has tomato plants coming up and alsways gets good tomatoes from them!

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
ive been taking good care of them and they are growing pretty nice. has anyone had plants just shoot up like that. and do you think they will be good tasting?
Should be just as fine as any other tomato. If they're the product of a hybrid you may see some strange tomatoes though. One year I had volunteers come up where I had previously planted a hybrid Roma. I removed all but one plant, and trained 4 vines off of it. 3 of the vines had roma tomatoes and the 4th had cherry tomatoes - all from the same plant!

BH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts