The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im thinking about trading the 2002 sierra 5.3 in for a duramax, anyone on here have one espec. a 2004, never drove one but i am going to, all my uncles have cummins but my dad brought me up around the bowtie and thats what im sticking with, so any input? what year did they start with the aluminum heads?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are known to have injector problems - an expensive fix - be careful. You'd be better off with a pre-emmissions cummins if you want a diesel

·
Registered
731 Posts
Don't the duramax have dual turbos? I would watch out for that one turbo can be upwards of 3000.00 beans! Get on a few of the chevy forums or google the year and the type you want and search for troubles and or oil leaks that way you know what to look for when you go and buy. I bought a 2002 F250 diesel (7.3L) and I wish I would have searched before I bought. I never found anything "bad" just a few minor things that I could have had the dealer fix before I signed for it! Like turbo pedestal o-rings leaking oil.. A diesel pick up ain't what they used to be!
Also make sure the truck has good batteries... Are you planning to do any mods ofter you buy?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Go to GMtruckclub.com/forums and check the diesel forum, you'll get answers there...

A friend that was on his 2nd ford diesel lost it, it went for a swim while he was loading his boat @ the Atlantic Highlands ramp, and he was shopping duramax when the dealer talked him into a test drive of an '06 dodge and he went w/ it.

He was shopping Chevy because of the expensive diesel related repairs to his '06 F350.

His was the 9th pickup to slide in while parked on that ramp last summer, and 6 of them were F350's...

I had to ask him if the dodge came w/ swiming lessons!

BTW the boat is for sale!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i have an 07 duramax and i love it. they are single turbo and were developed by isuzu which they know diesels.you cant beat the ride on the gm.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It would have to be a "quinky dink" that 6 fords slipped into the water... I am betting it has more to do with the ramp than the truck

A good friend of mine just bought a brand new 2010 Dodge 4 door dually with the cummins. He had it for about 2-3 weeks. He said it was the stupidest thing he has ever done in his life! He had a F350 it was a 1999? i believe and had it for 11 years and never had any trouble other than regular maintenance. The new dodge was a mess- HORRIBLE fuel mileage and the engine break didn't work at all. He took it to the dealer and they told him it worked as it should. It ended up after some words that he traded the dodge in for a brand new F350 4 door dually. He says this truck has WAY more power and rides nicer. He also said the interior of the dodge wasn't as nice as the Ford. Keeping in mind I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU BUY and I AM NOT BASHING BRANDS!! Just trying to pass on some current information. He pulls cattle and equipment with this truck on a regular basis... No matter what stick with what you know and a brand YOU trust....

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have a 2006 Duramax and just went over 60,000 without a problem. I never owned anything but Ford trucks before, liked them but glad I have switched. The Duramax is quieter, rides better and has more options for the money. I just spoke to a friend who recently purchased a 2003 with 61,000 for $20k so the prices are very reasonable.

Stetam

·
Registered
731 Posts
I was and still am a chevy fan if that is possible after owning 3 fords in a row?? I had 2 chevys neither of which were diesel. The best thing about the chevy is the RIDE! nice and soft. If you live in the country something else to consider with Ford/chevy would be ground clearance. Chevy's always did sit lower than a Ford to my knowledge. The reason a chevy rides sooo much nicer is the simple fact Ford uses a soild front axle which throughout the years have proven themselves tough. Chevy is more of an independant type suspension I believe along with dodge.. If you want a nice ride chevy is your answer. Not sure of the horsepower and torque on the dodge and chevy. That's something else to consider... Happy hunting.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys , im not worried about the ride , and im fixing the ground clearance problem myself , i plan on putting a 6 inch rancho lift on with 35's , banks diesel kit and stacks. i know i know im 23 and dumb as my dad says , haha he leaves everything stock but im the one forking the bill i tell him haha . i can get a 2004 crew short bed 51,000 miles for 21,900. i thought it was a good deal. right?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hey Bowtecher ! GMC or Chevy Duramax

Love mine... Would trade it for anything...

You might have seen it around since you are in cambria !

I just turned 43,000 on it, and the only thing I have done other than oil changes, was a new set of tires !

I pull campers with it all the time and it is incredible !

I love the standard shift option on the shifter, and the engine brake when it tow haul will bring the truck to a stop on its own ! I rarely use the brakes even on the steepest hills around here !

HERE IS SOME PICTURES OF MINE !

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Trapper660 said:
It would have to be a "quinky dink" that 6 fords slipped into the water... I am betting it has more to do with the ramp than the truck
It's a huge ramp on the Raritan bay, can launch 9 -10 boats at one time & I'll bet the saltwater conditions have something to do w/ it but w/ the thousands of launches there year-round having 2/3rds of them being F350's is significant...

Yet when I worked for the environmental company, we launched all out boats using ford pickups, vans, and our stake body 'spill' trucks and we never lost any of them even when the ramp was covered w/ snow & ice...had to boom the tankers in the harbor year round so we had boats going in and out of the water every day/night...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey grouchy i saw your truck at wal mart before , thats a really nice ride, now all u need is a set of stacks,

haha i was thinking my parents went to camp, taking my dads truck and having a 6 inch lift put on it for fathers day hahahaha i would love to see his reaction!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
PLease Please don't bad mouth FORDS. Did they need bail outs. Are they #1 seller? You guessed it i love my fords any yr. any color, any engine. Built FORD TOUGH. The 49,50 51's are the best and those f 250's 4x4's come on don't get any better. There's one in every redneck's yard and not parked under a tree I'll tell you...later

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
i have a 08 duramax. i love it as well. i have had no trouble with it.
the newer ones dont get as good fuel milage as the older ones. my 02 duramax was got about 1 1/2 mpg better than the current one, thanks to emmisions. but i didn't buy it for fuel milage.
i had a 05, f-350 ford king ranch with the diesel in between. i did not like that truck at all. it was more me and the cab comfort of a chevy, not saying ford was a bad truck, just that i didnt like it. it rode rough, and was not good off road, mostly due to the stiff suspension. seemed like i had to put it in 4x4 every time i turned off a road.

the duramax is quite and powerfull, the allison tranny is a nice compliment as well.

by the way, the new diesels will have urea (sp?) injection and a whole new emmisions package.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts