The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which is a better round, but in terms of economy (so I can practice with it) and effectiveness for deer and bigger game. I can get either type for the same price, but I'd like to know what people recommend,

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i have 3 35s marlins get the 35 much better knock down power 200 grainers for deer and bear,if you really want a great bear load get buffalo boar 220 grainers .good luck

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
also i picked up 35 round nose at dunhams this year on sale for $15 bucks a box, you also have the option of hornady 200 flex tip, but i dont care for them they do shoot great on paper, but imo they just dont leave a good blood trail,dont know y maybe they dont open up, i am not sure i did shoot two bucks with them and found them both with in 70 yards of the shot , so they did do there job, but i could not find blood i mean hardly any . so i am still confused on that one, but not the case with the 200 grain roundnose, always blood and i can see the reaction of the deer when hit with a roundnose,

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
LOL.....I was just going to type this very question!

Actually, it was going to be a two part question;

1) .30-30 vs .35 Rem

2) Winchester vs Marlin

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I was leaning towards the Marlin myself.

I've had a hankering for a Marlin 336 .35 Remington for a while now. I've heard that the Marlins are built better than the Winchesters. I don't know this for a fact, just what I've heard from several people.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have owned both the Marlin 336 35 Rem and the Winchester mod. 94 30/30. I would choose the Marlin 336 in 35 Rem over the Winchester.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
yes marlin has side eject where i have a 94 winchester 30/30 also that is top eject.but my 94 is a old one, does winchester even make a 30/30 now a days with side eject like marlin, just mounting a scope is much better on side eject let alone.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
1) .35 Remington, superior power to the 30-30. I've shot deer with each and the .35 drops them better. With all due respect to mdmlm's opinion, I prefer the the Hornady Leverrevolution to either Winchester or Remington round nose. I get slightly better accuracy with the Hornaday's and more importantly the wound channel is better. With the Remington's and Winchesters, if I did not hit a rib or shoulder blade on the way in, then the exit hole was just barely larger than .35 and there was not a lot of tissue damage. I have put 9 hornadys into deer and the damage is much greater whether I hit bone or not. The blood trails, while short, have been impressive. Note: I have not shot the 30-30 Leverrevolutions, and they supposedly are also a good >100 yard deer round.
2) Marlin is the better gun. Easier to mount a scope. I have never had one of my .35's jam. Built like a tank, although a little heavy.

·
Registered
638 Posts
i'll b the odd man out, i'd get the 30-30. easy to find and cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A friend of mine posed this exact same question....He called me from the gun shop. (His first deer rifle).

I told him " The 30-30 will serve you well for the rest of your life. It is a great deer cartridge....The .35 though.....It's a hammer!"

He bought the .35. It turned out to be made back in '54. A steal for $225. Got his first deer with it also.

He said that he got it in the scope, squeezed the trigger and seen 2 deer running off....There were 3 previously. It never moved from the Point of Impact.

So, In closing....If the choice were mine.....I would get the .35.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I had a s chance to try both types at Tanners and Surplus City today and I liked the feel of the Marlin the most, it could be because it was the first a I fired, but it just felt better for lack of any other term when handling it and working the lever. Luckily Surplus City had a Marlin 35 with the original Marlin Scope most though seemed to be 30-30 so I'm thinking when they open on Tuesday I should put a hold on it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve in PA said:
Well, from this brief thread, it looks like I will go with my original yearning, a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington!
Me too...just don't go looking at Surplus City. lol

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gah now after looking at ammo prices, it seems a bit harder. 30-30 can be had for close to 223/556 prices, but 35 rem is often double that. What are good prices people can often get for the two ammo types and from where?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Yo I was in Surp. Cty a couple wks. ago. I looked at the Marlins he had a couple had a bad re-coil pad done on them. Up the road on Bridgetown Pike is another shop the guy dose the estate deal and always has a 336 on the rack. Make offer though he'll deal , also same time line I was at Cabelas and they had a real nice 35 nice wood grain on it about $300.00 almost brought it home. With the used guns at Cabelas you can deal too, their's always some margin. Why I got in on this thred is 336's are best thing Marlin ever made and scope mountable is a plus. Good Luck....later

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have both the 30 30 and 35 rem in marlin 336. Both are great and will serve you very well. If I had to choose only one the 35 would get the nod every time. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I was at a couple of places here in the valley and saw both, Winchesters and Marlins, all used. The Wins were .30-30 while the Marlins were in .35 Remington. I reload for everything I shoot, so I'm not worried about ammo costs.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I never let ammo prices ever never get in the way of the gun I want
Look for sales on ammo are reload but don't pick because of prices you will kick yourself if u do

1 - 20 of 77 Posts