The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot in an indoor 3D league with a trad group on Tuesdays. My normal shot sequence is to just stare at the point I want to hit, draw slowly, come to anchor, hold for a couple seconds to let my brain "settle out" on the sight picture then release. This week two of the targets were thirty yards...max we can shoot indoors. Sooo...I said to myself that at those distances I'll try gap shooting. In warmup I worked on my gap and it seemed to work pretty good. However, in the first round I missed both of those targets...one over, the other under! After that I went back to my tried and true method and did okay the next four rounds, including a 1X 46 on the last round. Now, I truly believe a good gap shooter, or string walker, will beat an instinctive shooter most of the time but I guess it's not for me.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
It sounds as if you are shooting at the whole target and not picking a specific spot <span style="text-decoration: underline">on</span> the target. I shoot a primative osage #55 off the knuckles and with port orford arrows I fletch myself and using the gap shooting method. When shooting any type of archery having the ability to accurately judge distance and allow for it is just as important as a constant anchor and release. As for string walking; brother, that is a method that I tried several times and it does not work for me.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've never tried string walking, but i have tried the gap method as well as true instinctive shooting. Unless you are shooting at known distances a true instinctive shooter will shoot much better most of the time.

·
Registered
18,720 Posts
Can you fellas expand a bit on gap shooting and string walking. As a newbie, I am all ears.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
String walking is knocking the arrow at different locations on the bow string depending on the distance to the target. It requires your bow to be in a 90 degree angle to ground. Gap shooting is aiming by using the point of your arrow as it points to a spot on your target and permits you to cant the bow allowing for clear view of the target and a good use of the "V" of the arrow shelf and strike plate. Both methods require that you have a firm grasp of distance and that you know where to knock the arrow or set the gap respectively depending on what method you choose. I use a "Split vision" style that is more akin to Gap Shooting than string walking. I have tried string walking and I would rather put out a lit cigaretts on my nose than shoot with this method.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i have been shooting traditional for 30+ years. I am a gap shooter however if you do it long enough. it becomes somewhat instinctive ,i really no longer calculate my gap. But simply release when my sight picture feels right. I'd be willing to bet more guy's shoot this way than they realize. If you want to test if you are truly instinctive. Shoot at a candle flame in front of your target at night when it's pitch black and you cannot see your arrow. You may be suprised to find, your not as instinctive as you thought.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
shade mt said:
i have been shooting traditional for 30+ years. I am a gap shooter however if you do it long enough. it becomes somewhat instinctive ,i really no longer calculate my gap. But simply release when my sight picture feels right. I'd be willing to bet more guy's shoot this way than they realize. If you want to test if you are truly instinctive. Shoot at a candle flame in front of your target at night when it's pitch black and you cannot see your arrow. You may be suprised to find, your not as instinctive as you thought.
Very interesting insight there ShadeMt

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I shoot strickly instinctive myself. The more I practice the better I get, but take a week or 3 off and I might as well start at square one. I've also noticed that when I practice indoors it throws me off when shooting outdoors. I'm thinking it has something to do with depth perception.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i should have added to the above post that some guy's do shoot instinctive. i know some guy's that can shoot at night as long as they can see their target...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
On my draw my only focus is the point I have picked, as soon as that feather touches the corner of my mouth, I release. If I hold it it does not go where it is supposed to. Slow draw I pay no attention to the arrow, was taught this when I was about 6-7 years old. It takes a bit to shake the rust off. I was never taught technically, best thing u can do is shoot with people of knowledge to view you while you do it, they can definatley help you.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I used to shoot 3-d with an older guy who was world champ. several times shooting barebow and according to him it was simple. Start with a full or near full length shaft and shoot at say 25 yds using normal anchor point and using the tip of the arrow on the target. Slowly trim the arrow length and shoot until you hit the bull still using the tip of your arrow on the target. Your trim cuts have to be in small steps. Once you hit dead on with a certain arrow length you just aim at the top of target for 30 and just under for 20. I never tried it but it made sense to me?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts