The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've decided I'm going to create 3 to 4 food plots this year.. My brother and I own 76 acres of mountain ground.. I have a 500cc fourwheeler, I'm looking to get an attachment for it that tears up the ground.. I've found 2 things that I'm pretty interested in. They're both around the same price ($400) Links below:

https://baddawgaccessories.com/shop/details/Ground-Hog-Max-With-Kit

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200414726_200414726

Just wanted to know if anyone had any better suggestions! I'm going to start using round up now to kill them briar bushes and other weeds!

·
Registered
384 Posts
How big do you plan to make your plots? For anything larger than about .2 acres OR if you are going to do them each year, consider a tractor instead of your 4 wheeler.

Countless others have stated that they could not believe how much easier/better their plots are made plus considerably less wear on their 4 wheeler by using a tractor and 3 point attachments to make their plots.

First time plots in old meadows or trails in the forest are even more difficult to prepare.

But everyone has a budget and I have heard the Ground Hog works ok.

Have you already identified native plants of value in your potential plot areas? Countless others have also said that creating cover has been 10x better for them than plots.

·
Registered
806 Posts
https://www.wengers.com/wholegoods/ih-farmall-5-1pt-fh-disc-74860-1.html

I use something very similar to this. pulled with my Yamaha 350 4wd quad. been doing it for years, no problems. I disk, then seed, after I seed, I drag an old section of chain link. my main reason for failures is that I don't have a cult packer. I just drive the quad all over the seeded plot to get good seed to soil contact. I have nice plots. Not perfect, but they are very nice. lots of deer, and I do all my work with old, warn out stuff.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmm interesting, and yeah they'll be about .5 acer .. we're actually getting the timber cut right now so I figured this would be the best time to put them.. well in a month (end of july). Also, I didn't about my receiver.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I frost seeded clover into a few of my logging roads after opening the canopy around them and getting it down to bare dirt first. They turned out great. Might not work out too well for you this year but in the long run it might pay off. Occasional mowing, spraying, and lime/fertilizer is all that's needed. I also second the review of the native regen that you'll have coming up after the timber harvest. If you get a good cut with a lot of regen and cover, your small plots might not matter much. Buying a tractor and implements just isnt an economical thing to do if you only are planning on a few tiny plots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts