The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to plant a food plot in the middle of are property. It is probally 50' by 100'. It is surronded by trees. Do you think it will get enough sunlight? Also any suggestions on what to plant. We also have some logging roads that are clear. Could I plant anything on them. They are also surronded by trees. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Depends on how tall the trees are and how the plot is oriented in relation to the sun.

One thing you can do is drop the trees along the edge of such a plot and create a buffer. This will allow more light in and also give you more "edge" cover.

Small plots like yours, depending on the local deer population, can get wiped out almost as soon as it comes up. It just depends.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
One of the easiest, no fail things to try is buckwheat. So easy a caveman could grow it.....

Gets your feet wet and it doesn't have high nutrient requirements, so, you can spread some lime and fertilizer, throw some buckwheat down and have a great crop.

Later in summer, I'd throw some rape and turnips (brassica mix) into the buckwheat. The deer should be keeping the buckwheat down, which should provide enough sunlight for the rape and turnips to grow.

Whatever you do, put up a small exclosure cage, maybe 3 ft in diameter, to measure what the critters are eating. You may be surprised.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts