The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my brother and I did some food plot work out at his property. He plowed the plot areas on sat and today we did the liming. I met him at the property and we decided the plan clearing some logs and stuff from the paths so my truck could get in.

After about a hour or so we then went to the Curwensville feed store. My Tundra is payload suggested weight is 1462lbs. Weigh in prior to lime was 5604 and weigh out after was 8012. Needless to say we had a pretty heavy load on and decided due to my truck sagging pretty well we went to a easier to get to plot. While spreading around the lime we heard a group of hens making such a racket, might be a good place to go for turkey

Here is the first new plot he put in. Nothing big but ties into another plot making a T shaped plot

Here is the other new plot he plowed up. This plot is anywhere from 8-12' wide and approx 150-175 yard long. Nice place surrounded by lural and pines.

This pic shows the mighty tundra with a little less then 3/4 a load on

My brother working hard throwing around the lime

This is the kubota that does all the plowing, harrowing, tree pulling...ect

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just washed the truck out and noticed the only casuality is a read mudflap. Not sure if its totally the fault of the liming or not. It was hanging from trying to push hard frozen snow piles in the driveway. I hooked it back up but not sure if it was tight enough for that kind of work

·
Registered
570 Posts
nice. Look like some nice plots you guys have there..

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Also nice to see someone that has figured out how to really spread lime......

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Dutch said:
Also nice to see someone that has figured out how to really spread lime......
Haha, I've spread plenty of lime that way. It's a good workout and not really as bad as it seems. Those will be some nice plots to hunt over come fall. I prefer this method for liming though

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Looks way to easy. LOL

GREAT picture tho.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Dutch said:
Looks way to easy. LOL
It's like a Penn Dot job, you just stand around leaning on a shovel and watch someone else work, lol. Just what ever you do don't get the truck stuck. Don't ask me why I know that.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Guess yer atv wasn't enough to pull the truck out? LOL

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Guess you'll be spreading it by hand from now on cause that company ain't coming back. LOL

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for liking our area.

No way a truck like that would make it into the areas we were. Well the first plot but not the second one. Just to tight, had enough trouble with my truck. The road was pretty steep and winding and lots of trees and rocks to get around

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
How much does your brother charge an Hour...

I have always used pelletized because the ONLY way we get back to ours is ATV and small trailer....would love togo the Ag lime route, just seems so much more effective. Although my son loves spreading pelletized with the ATV spreader...I'd hate to tell him we changed tactics.

I love the deep woods small plots, which is good cause that is my only option, but it is amazing to watch how what that little green strip in the middle of woods does for the critters.

Keep the pics coming as it grows...my favorites are green plots, colored leaves...

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I bought lime from the local quarry for $7 per ton, bagged it in feed bags and hauled it to Potter for my plots.

Ag lime in Tioga goes for about $50 per ton, bulk. May use the pickup this year and put a ton in the bed and spread from the bed of the truck. Takes very little time to spread a ton with 2 guys with shovels. Best shoevl I have used has a flatter blade and allows you to "sling" the lime in a sweeping arc. Works very well.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I now use the spreader that is to the left of my tractor. A neighbor farmer is kind enough to let me borrow it whenever I want. It can hold close to half a ton and as long as the plot is relatively flat I can pull it with the quad. I still see these laying around old farms so keep your eye out for one. They are wide though, probably 10 ft or better to the wheels. Takes about as long to load as it does to spread.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RoosterBooster said:
How much does your brother charge an Hour...
Haha Im not so sure he is up for looking for other jobs

He doesnt pay very well for me helping...but he he does pay with a nice "buck"

Its nice to see what is the end product of all the hard work and holding off on smaller bucks.

As for the flat shovel and spreading technique, that is the best way to do it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts