The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share some of my winners and losers this fall. A few winners, my plot screen grew great dispite planting it a few weeks later than I wanted to. Mowed, sprayed, limed, fertilized and drilled it at 12#/ac. It's around 8ft. now. The wet north facing plot that I frost seeded in March continues to thrive, I have not mowed it all season but fertilized ita few weeks ago with 150#/ac. each of 0-0-60 and 11-52-0. It's knee high and getting lots of action. The 2 main feeding plots of 1.2 and 2ac. were seeded in brassicas the 3rd week of July. Germination was perfect and the growing conditions couldn't have been better. Unfortunately they were consumed by pigweed, so to salvage them I sprayed the worst parts of both fields with Gly. towards the end of Aug. and hand picked the pigweed out of the parts that were not as inundated ( probably 5 or 6 hundred plants ) Labor day weekend I drilled oats, wheat and rye into the killed parts (130#/ac. ) and broadcasted straight rye into the parts that still had brassicas in them. The grains are doing great in both applications. In 2 smaller plots(1/2 and 3/4ac.) the brassicas are getting hammered so in one I broadcasted 130# rye and in the other I drilled rye/wheat combo at 120#/ac. both are doing well. My plot in the woods was a total failure, the worst I ever had. Out of the 4ac. I drilled with brassica, I think I got 40 plants 2in. high total. I tried to skip one of the golden rules of planting, addressing low Ph.(4.6-5.0). I thought I could overload it with 250-300# of 50-50-50 and get at least a 40-50% success but instead got a 0. After thinking about it for 2 weeks I was more inclined to believe that I still had residual 24D in the soil from not waiting long enough to plant. Anyway I drilled straight rye at 130#/ac. around Labor day and is looking great. In my neck of the woods you could not have had better weather to grow crops. Without mother natures help I would have really stank it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Your rows look nice and parallel! I need more practice. I did pick up a reasonably priced foam marker that we'll be trying out in the spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,254 Posts
Your rows look nice and parallel! I need more practice. I did pick up a reasonably priced foam marker that we'll be trying out in the spring.
Couldn't you rig a guide on the front of your tractor. Basically take a broomstick and hang it out to the side from the front of the tractor. Then have a flat piece of steel, stiff wire or something hanging down so that it would line up with the last disc mark from your no till. All thread may be better out so it would be easier to adjust. Once you got it set then you wouldn't have to look back and could simply watch the guide which would be in front. Just a thought, but you probably have some stuff laying around that you could make something work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might rig one up C before next spring, I tend to get a little cross eyed after a couple of hours of lining up the inside of the front tire with the second to last drill line
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top