The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best thing to grow around this time of the year that will last during hunting season too...and what is the consequences of not properly fertilizing and/or putting down lime?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I would go with Brassica w/Turnips or Clover w/ Chicory...

The consequences: Your expensive seed just won't grow.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
You can get a soil sample back pretty quick. You might not need lime or you might need a certan type or amount of fertilizer.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I send my soil samples to Mossy Oak testing service. $7.50 per sample. Put it in one of those USPS blue boxes and off it goes.

This year, I mailed my samples on a Monday at 4:30 PM and had the emailed results on Thursday afternoon.

That $7.50 can make or break a food plot.

Like someone said, the expensive seed won't grow right without the proper lime and fertilizer.

Did a soil test for my buddy. His plot had a pH of 4.2! Nothing will grow there no matter how much fertilizer you put on it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I’ve planted a few clover food plots with soils in the 5.2-5.4 pH range. The clover grew and the deer used them. When I applied fertilizer, the plots grew and looked better (At least to me). I'm in the process of adding lime to them so I'm curious to see what affect the lime has. But it is my understanding adding lime so the soils reach the optimum pH can help the soils more readily break down and use the nutrients in the soil. Applying fertilizer adds more nutrients but soils with the proper pH can use close to 100 percent of the applied fertilizer where a soil in the 5.0 range may only be able to use 30 percent of the fertilizer.

A food plot with the proper pH and fertilizer grows better and is much more appealing to deer than one that is not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts