The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting in a food plot this weekend. Its in the middle of woods where the forest just opens up a bit. Plenty of sunlight coming in with few blackberry and rasberry bushes growing there now. We are tilling it up and planting something with hopes of archery hunting over it in the fall. What is the best thing to plant in this type of area? We had Chicory and Clover on our lease in this type of plot but we also planted much earlier and they probably got a little more sunlight. I wasn't overly impressed with the "attraction" factor either. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
For my backwoods stuff this year I am going winter wheat and Brassicas mix.

Nice thing about backwoods plots, is that reagrdless of what they have in them, just the tended to opening in the landscape alone usually does some attracting, even if it was nothing but dirt.

I would go with a mix though to increase odds of something taking hold if something lese does not...a winter wheat, brassica, and forage oats maybe since it is new. Forage oats will come and go early but they like to sift thru it. I am now staying away from things like "throw and grow" and "secret spot". They tend to do well but I can't for the life of me get rid of the ryrgrass residues in the years that follow.

Deer do dig for my ryegrass in the snow, but it overtakes the area IMO...which guys on here told me it would do.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've also had good luck with brassicas and oats in this type of plot. Planted a little later; brassicas after the first week of Aug. and oats around the last week of Aug. I would plant them alongside each other and not together as I think the brassicas would "choke out" the oats. Good luck with your new plot!

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys. The main goal will be to hunt over this plot in early to mid October. I imagine the PH will be high considering where we live. Anything more well suited for this area than rye grass?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was talking about rye grain ,not the grass.Sorry for the mix up.Rye grain will grow in just about any soil type.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Austrian winter peas, turnips, wheat or oats. The peas will attract as soon as they emerge from the soil. They wheat or oats helps to take some deer pressure off of the peas so they can grow a little. Turnips/brassicas for late season. Oats and peas are some of the earliest attracting fall crops that I know of or have used.

·
Registered
802 Posts
pottercountyman said:
Hi guys. The main goal will be to hunt over this plot in early to mid October. I imagine the PH will be high considering where we live. Anything more well suited for this area than rye grass?
have you tested the soil for ph? where i live ph is really low and end up applying 2 tons of lime per acre to correct

·
Registered
125 Posts
any kinda grain and brassica they are the altimate for our seasons
tecomate's T-raptor and buck forage oats awesome combo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts