The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Re: austrian winter peas

I planted austrian peas in with my turnips last year. They stayed green well into late fall and it also gave the deer something to eat as the turnips were growing. I wouldnt have a problem planting them again and probably will next year in a different plot. These were planted in Potter Co. near the New York line.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts

I am watching this topic with considerable interest. This spring, we cleared a food plot. I planted it with a mixture of buckwheat, clover, alfalfa, and brassica, but the ferns took over so I had to spray to kill it all. I will go in next weekend and lime/fertilize, then want to plant it about the middle of August.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts

Mutley, I really liked how the peas grew and how the deer really liked them. I think it really helped out in the plot I planted because it really draws the deer in during early bow season and thru rifle season providing it doesnt get real freezing cold. They stayed away from the turnips until later in November. Having the peas in the plot kept them coming in. I planted mine around the last week in July. I would think you should be able to plant them at that time also if you wanted. But our growning season in Potter Co. Might be different then where you are located.
Oh and I forgot, My friend shot a 162" 10 point coming from this field in 2007 and in 2006 he shot a small 141" 9 point going to this field. I plant the field and everyone else shoots the deer!!

·
Registered
777 Posts

I have found if you are trying to establish a clover plot or clover/chicory plot a fall planting works best.Mixed with a cover crop like Oats,Winter Wheat/Rye, Winter wheat being my favorie.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts

Rober I'm heading out to Illinois in Aug to put some food plot's in and I'd like to try these Austrian Pea's... Where can I pick some up????? Local feed and grain store???? THANK'S...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

We have had good luck with rows of different crops or mixes. Brassica's work well for late season. Austrian peas have given us some amazing results over the last couple years. I was skeptical at first and then truly amazed at how the deer took to them. Our main plots are Clover, Wheat/Oats, Rye, Turnips/Beets, Rape, Austrian peas. This year we are going to mix a few different seeds together to have a blended plot instead of rows or single or double crops. Experiment to see what gives the best results and hold the most deer on your property.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts

Rober ... THANK'S... I just looked them up on the net and seen I can order them several place's... Look's like the best time to plant them is in Sept. Going to give them a try.... See what happen's...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts