The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to head to camp this weekend and mow my food plot. The clover doesn't really need cut but mowing would help control the weeds. My biggest concern is cutting the clover when the weather is so hot and dry. I'm not sure if I'll make to camp again before archery season, so should I mow it this weekend?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
More than likely,the clover is stunted from the hot,dry weather.A light mowing will help promote new growth.I would mow,maybe just not as short as usual.

·
6,450 Posts
i mowed mine about 3 weeks ago. the clover took off ater that. the deer are hitting it like crazy now too.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try mowing this weekend. The clover is about 15 inches high in my exclusion cages while it is 4 inches outside the cages. I'm hoping mowing will just help to control the weeds and hopefully it rains soon.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
At that height, you won't be mowing off the clover anyway, but the weeds will get clipped, helping with weed control.

Seems even without rain, your plot is doing well, as the exclusion cage is telling you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts