The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to food plots and i want to know what the best thing to plant is right now...however, here is my situation

The first thing is that i have no access to anything except little equipment (rake, shovels, etc.) and a fourwheeler. Even worse is that i want to plant it in the woods (100 acres total) where there is a little bit of an opening but would have to be planted on open trails. So, what do you guys think i should plant and would it be good for hunting season?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just planted antler kings mini max seed in a wooded situation like yourself and already have sprouts after 8 days. If you decide to go with this check ph level for the amount of lime to add to soil, any other questions PM me

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
run a weed eater and spray round up and do your soil tests now. Add your lime, n, p, and k as summer fades. Late Aug/early sept (depending on rain) try a brassica mix or forage oats/winter wheat mixed in as a nurse crop for a clover mix. Clover and other perrenials are slow to grow and establish. If you choose a mix like that it may not be good to hunt until the following year. Thats my opinion but im new as well so dont take my word only. Oats can be a great draw come late Nov/early December. (thats what I learned last year.)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Most of the plantings for this time of year are summer annuals. The deer will most likely move on to more preferred food sources by hunting season.

Clover should be planted in the early spring or fall but you could still try a clover mix now and hope for rain. If the weather is hot and dry in the summer, the clover may die off. You could also add buckwheat as a nurse crop. The deer will eat the faster growing buckwheat and let the clover grow.

From your list of equipment you will need some type of sprayer to kill the existing vegetation. You could spray, spread the seed then drag some tree branches behind your ATV to work the seed in the ground. I've had decent luck dragging an old set of bed springs behind my ATV.

If you can wait until the end of summer, you could do the same with winter rye, winter wheat, oats or brassicas. If your not able to fertilize or lime; rye, wheat and oats may grow better than clovers or brassicas.

With your limited equipment you may also want to consider planting apple trees in the open areas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts