The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put in a new food plot at my camp in SW PA that was a previous clear cut area that didn't contain many big trees. We already have two Prograze clover plots that are great for summer and early fall but now i want to add something different for the later season. Are turnips the best crop for after the first frost? Would a brassicas mix be a good idea? What are the best crops for soil that isn't the best quality?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Brassicas are a great crop. Mix them with some winter wheat and you have a crop for the fall and also in spring, the wheat will greenup for the deer.

Getting some lime on that soil right now or in the next month, will give you a great crop for the fall. Use 20-10-10 fertilizer at seeding and you'll be good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.