The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I enjoy wasting vast amounts of time for no apparent reason other than to help with my sanity, I added a few enhancements to my already unproductive food plot.

1) First one is a rubbing post (because the internet says I need one). Dropped a 5" pine, sunk it 2' in the ground and secured it at the top to an apple tree.

2) Second is a grape vine licking branch/scrape (because the internet says I need one) that I hung a week ago. Actually deer tracks in it. Probably standing there laughing at it?

3) Third is a mineral site that I've been running for quite some time. It was getting hammered a month ago. Not so much now.

When I drag that 170" buck in this fall, I just wanted you fellas to be aware of the reason why. :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
All of that and no beds? LOL.

#1 I have tried #1 and yes bucks did rub it.

#2 I have never tried.

#3 I don't do the fancy brand name minerals, but I do have out a trace mineral block at an established location. Deer hit it pretty good. You should start seeing more activity in May thru July. If there are other sources though you may not get as much use.

I honestly believe that alot of this stuff works if and this is a big if it is in the right location where deer routinely visit and feel secure. I don't think any of these gimmicks actually pull deer in. I do think though that if you can maybe establish a scrape/rubbing post that you can maybe make deer coming thru that area perhaps travel a little closer to where you want them to be. If you have the stuff above in a poor location then they will likely get little use. The biggest advantage of the above is if you get almost all the deer in the area visiting them then you can get a good inventory of the bucks.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I tried the grapevine thing last yr at 4 spots and it was a complete bust for me. The vines were rather stiff and dry so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I am a glutton for punishment though so I might try a few again this yr.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of that and no beds? LOL.

#1 I have tried #1 and yes bucks did rub it.

#2 I have never tried.

#3 I don't do the fancy brand name minerals, but I do have out a trace mineral block at an established location. Deer hit it pretty good. You should start seeing more activity in May thru July. If there are other sources though you may not get as much use.

I honestly believe that alot of this stuff works if and this is a big if it is in the right location where deer routinely visit and feel secure. I don't think any of these gimmicks actually pull deer in. I do think though that if you can maybe establish a scrape/rubbing post that you can maybe make deer coming thru that area perhaps travel a little closer to where you want them to be. If you have the stuff above in a poor location then they will likely get little use. The biggest advantage of the above is if you get almost all the deer in the area visiting them then you can get a good inventory of the bucks.

You're probably correct, cspot. I really do enjoy trying all of the various things even though I'm cynical about them and have little faith in them. I know what works for me and at this stage of the game I don't deviate much. Plus, I really enjoy breaking down new pieces of property every year. The biggest thing working against me on my own property is that I'm surrounded by large Ag. There's no way my couple 1 acre plots can compete, but it's still fun.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the grapevine thing last yr at 4 spots and it was a complete bust for me. The vines were rather stiff and dry so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I am a glutton for punishment though so I might try a few again this yr.
LOL!! I can relate, LONZO. I keep banging my head against that wall, too. There's a lot worse things we could be wasting our time and money on.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
It's like Deer Disneyland.

How could they resist?

The grass looks mowed pretty short, though. Maybe if the deer had more cover they would hang around more.

Maybe some tall warm season grasses or goldenrod in part of the property? Many deer bed down in those.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my thoughts too, troutbert. Stupid deer don't know what's good for them. :grin2:
The short grass is actually the plot itself. It was in brassicas last fall (pic 1) but the deer basically ignored it, so I frost seeded clover and chicory over it last month. The grass seems to be taking it over a bit (pic 2) so I'll probably mow and then spray it next month.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've had some success with the vine licking branch idea TBrom but only a few worked well. My best one has been hanging for 3 yrs, it seems every deer around will visit it. Others, only minimal action so try some different spots. I tried horizontal rubs a few years ago and had zero success. I've read that the minerals from the blocks pass through the deer's system quite quickly and is lost through their urine. Some guys are using the ground minerals and broadcast them on their plots so the plants can take them up and that way they stay in the deer's system longer with more time to get absorbed

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Since I enjoy wasting vast amounts of time for no apparent reason other than to help with my sanity, I added a few enhancements to my already unproductive food plot.

1) First one is a rubbing post (because the internet says I need one). Dropped a 5" pine, sunk it 2' in the ground and secured it at the top to an apple tree.

2) Second is a grape vine licking branch/scrape (because the internet says I need one) that I hung a week ago. Actually deer tracks in it. Probably standing there laughing at it?

3) Third is a mineral site that I've been running for quite some time. It was getting hammered a month ago. Not so much now.

When I drag that 170" buck in this fall, I just wanted you fellas to be aware of the reason why. :grin2:
Any update on this? The 170" buck should be at least 80" right now I would think. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back at in 2020. With the nice weather in the western part of the state I started hanging vines (as dumb as that sounds) and my mineral lick sites the past two days. The vines worked really well for me as an inventory tool throughout the spring and summer last year, but once the bucks were in hard antler they abandoned them. I'll put cameras on them in May and see how they work out this year. Mineral sites have always worked well for me but the rubbing post I planted last year were a total bust, so I'm done with them.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts