The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm from Lebanon County looking for a little advice on two small food plots. The 1st plot is about 20yds. x 10yds. & I planted Shot Plot last August and it grew very nice but the deer didn't hardly eat it. We have some trail cam pics of them eating & going through it but by and large they didn't seem that excited about it. That was the 1st yr the plot was planted. I was thinking of planting buckwheat in it this spring and then maybe putting winter rye in it this Sept. We have plans for clearing another plot but we probably won't plant anything till this fall. They're both on a farm so there is also corn & alfalfa fields nearby. These plots will be to try to keep deer on the property and also to hunt over. So basically I was just trying to get a little feedback as to what the best option is. Also we have a swampy area that I was wondering if anyone knew of any plot or kind of tree that could be planted that would attract deer. Thanks!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Buddy of mine has planted a brassica mix, which is what is in Shot Plot, for the past 7 years in his section of Lebanon County. The deer rarely touch it. I think there is just way too much food in his area for the deer.

Always a good idea to put annuals in new plots. Buckwheat, winter rye are both good ideas. Helps get weeds under control by tillage.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I notice in food plots the deer really go after turnips. When they are frozen the deer dig and gnaw at them until they are gone. They seem to like turnips the best.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I planted shot plot last year for the first time. They hammered it. We had corn and a bumper acorn, apple, and pear crop as well so they had other food sources. They ate the forage brassicas about 2 weeks after the first frost and then before we had the 1st big snow they where digging so much around the for turnips it looked like a roto-tiller went through. actually passed on 2 doe the last week of muzzleloader they jumped through the snow to get to the plot. was just nice watching them dig tunnels and also thought there was a chance a buck would show up?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I'd try a brassica blend again. Sometimes it takes a season to attract the deer to a new type of food. Lime and fertilize when you plant. Two weeks before archery opens, add urea (46-0-0) to give a quick boost of nitrogen for some added growth at killing time. Once the deer start hitting your brassicas they'll be hooked!! It's like crack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was at Cabelas last night and I looked for buckwheat seed and they didn't have any by itself. Does anyone have a suggestion of a local place that would carry it?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Try calling any larger farm store in your area. Look in the yellow pages for farm supplies, fertilizer or seed stores.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
em23 said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was at Cabelas last night and I looked for buckwheat seed and they didn't have any by itself. Does anyone have a suggestion of a local place that would carry it?
PL Rohrers in Smoketown carry buckwheat.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Andre's in Montrose (Susquehanna County) carries buckwheat. Planted some last year and the turkeys loved it!! It's also great for fixing nitrogen. Plant it in marginal soils and it'll grow. The next year your nitrogen will be up and you can plant something more attractive for a kill plot.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Hey Stack, as afr as I know, BW does not increase soil nitrogen. It does help add organic material to the soil and because it usually comes in thick, it tends to shade and suppress weeds.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Dutch, I read up on buckwheat and from what I found, it does fix nitrogen. It doesn't "increase" it but it draws it up from below depths that are not usable to most plants and "fixes" into the topsoil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my buckwheat seed and hope to get it planted soon hopefully this weekend. I have some 13-13-13 fertilizer left over from my plot from last year. Is that something good to use for buckwheat?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Buckwheat should not be planted quite yet, even in the southeast. Wait until chance of frost is about gone. It's a fast grower. Better to wait a week than lose it to a frost.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Wait until the 15th of May down here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I guess I live and learn. I planted one small plot this past wkd before I read everyone's advice about waiting. I'll wait to plant the rest and hope this plot grows alright. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I used buckwheat last year...I put it in Late May. It came up good and the Deer hit it hard until late August.

I would mow it down then and out turnips in. Worked pretty well for me.

Decided to try Imperial Clover this year though....we'll see what works better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts