The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day got off to rocky start, but soon turned into a one heck of good day. We have been watching a few hundred Canada's hitting a field that we could not gain permission to hunt. But we do have permission on the next field over. So we thought, lets give it a try. Around 8am we saw our first flock of honkers and upon some steady calling, they decide on the field they have been using for a few days now. Didnt give us the time of day. Didnt really even give us a look, just dropped straight down into the friendly confines of the "x". We did manage to get a trio to come our way and dropped one. This was followed by a few ducks here and there in the a.m. and we managed to drop a single that fell through the fog and about 10 yards, the shot was called. We had several groups of mallards circle, but could tell they wanted in behind us. We moved the blinds back, but it wasnt enough. Another group circled and still, they were behind us. Moved the blinds again and it was soon time for a lunch break. Around 3:30pm, things got interesting. With our blinds in the third location, a group of mallards approach, drop altitude quickly, and glide straight into our "perfect shooting window". This continued for the rest of the afternoon, with group after group of mallards bombing us, and once our shooting eyes warmed up, greenheads started falling. Its a shame we didnt have blinds set up in the final position all day, otherwise we would have been done with the ducks early on. We also had a rookie with us today (madness04), and a group of 4 mallards decided his blind would be great place to land. Feet dangling, at about 10 feet, they made their decent right into his face!! And so the addiction begins!! It was a great day with two of my best friends (djknyork, Mike), and one just earning his wings. Oh yeah, and the icing on the cake was a banded hen mallard I was lucky enough to harvest. She was banded in Notre Dame de Pierreville, Quebec, Canada on 8/27/08. Pretty cool stuff!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Nice that's a good band congrats.... Hen killer... Hahaha just kiddin man great hunt.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yea and i had to be sick just think if Jason would of had a Alabama hat on!! You guys deserved it after the way the season started but next time i guess i'll have to take pictures of the farm so Shep will know where to go!! Ha! Ha!

Jimmie
Let The Feathers Fly!!!!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Good hunt fellows! Sometimes it takes a little revamping until you get what they like and then its "game on" Congrats on the bling!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, that was one heck of a day. I am the rookie he speaks of and this was the first time I got to take down some ducks .....awesome feeling. I got onto some snows last year with these fellas and dropped a couple but I've always wanted a drake mallard. Man, I was pumped after I felt as if a wingtip from that close flock about took my head off then when I shot at the one right over my head and he about fell ontop of me. What a great day with a great group of guys. Work hard play hard fellas.thanx again

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thats why you shoot hens - more get banded than drakes.
Nice hunt and congrats on the band.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts