The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
have thought about it, but havnt done it. two thoughts that have crossed my mind. make sure you used closed cell foam. and also you may wanna go from two ends. i was thinking that maybe it would get airlocked and not fill the whole thing. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Funnie his came up.

I was hunting 3 weeks ago with our guide, Roger, from Livingston Waterfowlers down in St. Michaels, MD. I asked him about his decoys and if he foamed them. He laughed .... said probably 90% or better were foam filled. Roger said the clients are hard on the decoys and always shooting them up. So, he showed me how to foam your decoys.

First, drill a very small drill bit for "venting" the air out. Drill one under the tail and one op top of the head. Next, drill a hole big enough to get the expandable foam hose inside the decoy. This hole is in the middle of the decoy on its back. Once drilled, place the hose in far enough aiming toward the butt and foam it. You'll know when it's enough when you start seeing foam coming out the air hole under the tail. Next, rotate the hose/nozzle around and fill the front half. Again, the foam will start to come out the head air hole. Work the hose out slowly still filling the mid body. Be care NOT to over fill the decoy. When you pull the hose out place a piece of duct tape over the fill hole on the duck's back. Leave it sit over night before taking the tape off. Once it has set up, just touch up the holes with a little paint.

Tips:
1) If you've never worked with expandable foam BE CARE of keeping your hands clean of this stuff. If you do get it on your hands it is REALLY hard to get it off. I recommend wearing rubber gloves.
2) Be careful not to any on the body of the decoy while filling it. AGAIN, it's messy.
3) There are different types of expandable foam. Some are more expansive than others. I recommend using the less expandable. It you use the real expandable type and over fill it, you can crack the decoy body with it as it cures and continues to expand.
So, READ THE LABEL for what type of foam you buy.

Good Luck!

·
20,155 Posts
I would think the likely hood of cracking a decoys would be very good if you were doing a dozen or so. How would you even know when enough is really enough. Also, would leaving the holes uncovered allow for better expansion so that it would help to prevent the expansion from cracking? Sounds risky but effectiive if you can make it work. I'll just try not to shoot my decoys anymore then I already have haha.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
I would think the likely hood of cracking a decoys would be very good if you were doing a dozen or so. How would you even know when enough is really enough. Also, would leaving the holes uncovered allow for better expansion so that it would help to prevent the expansion from cracking? Sounds risky but effectiive if you can make it work. I'll just try not to shoot my decoys anymore then I already have haha.
Our group treat Decoys like DVD players, cell phones, cigarette lighters, etc ..... they're ALL disposable and replaceable.
I told my son when he first started, don't worry about the decoys if the ducks or geese land in the middle of them, ....... just kill'm!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Trout, I might add ..... we only foam the decoys that have BB holes in them and take on water. So, worrying about them cracking because of too much foam ..... doesn't matter. They don't float anyway, .... cause they take on water cause of the BB holes.

·
20,155 Posts
Does the foam work it's way out of every BB hole? I have one floater that had like 100 holes in it. I assume that it would like like a cheea-pet if I filled it with foam and let it expand lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts