The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am reading the book correct, archers only have to wear an orange hat during overlaps with fall turkey while moving. I ran into a guy today that said you need both. What is correct????

(During Overlap with Fall Turkey Season)
When hunting in an area with a concurrent fall turkey
season, a hat containing a minimum of 100 square inches
of solid fluorescent orange must be worn when moving.
The hat may be removed when archer is stationary or on
stand.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Yep, thats correct. If you were small game hunting, then you would need both. But archery hunting is hat only while moving.

with the different seasons coming in and out over the last few weeks, the FO changes just as much.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I knew that was going to come up. Thats probably pretty sticky. Say if you dont have an archery tag and your in a stand or walking around with your bow and your stopped by a WCO. You have 250 sq in on and tell him your small game hunting. Does he believe you?

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Nope, need a vest too. Look at the regs its pretty clear.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks q2 I got my answer.....I carry a vest with me but I have not been wearing it just the orange.

PA-JOE that would be a no because you are small game hunting which would mean you have to have hat and vest on for any small game hunting.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Your goin to need 250 inches. I was just posing another question. Do many people actually hunt small game with a bow?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
q2xl, many traditional archers seem to be big into small game hunting with their bows...

once small game and fall turkey kick in i always carry a couple extra arrows just for small game..usually squirrels that get under my skin...but, if you fling an arrow at small game, you better have your hat and vest on...and not take it off..because you WERE small game hunting...if a WCO comes by and sees your arrow stuck through a squirrel and your in camo, thats a violation....

i typically wear my hate and vest even in the tree once small game and turkey start depending on where im at and how many hunters are likely to be around..mid week and private land i may hang it in the tree..but saturday on hard hunted land, i wanna look like a pumpkin! even if i take it off i hang the hat and zip my vest up around the tree directly behind my head..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts