The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a teacher and I started a fly tying club. At first there were 4 kids in it and now it has grown to 7 with an 8th coming in next session. I have tried to supply the kids with materials and hooks, but it is getting very expensive. I am spending at least $40 each session. I like the kids to leave with something to take home and tie with. My question is does anyone know any fly shops that donate materials? Heck, I will wear a shirt or hat to sponsor their store if I have to. I could charge money, but I know if a payment is needed, a few kids will have to back out. We have the all the tools, but materials are getting out of hand for me. This program is after school and everything is out of my pocket. I am thankful to have soo many students interested in the outdoors and I want to keep it that way. ANY suggestions are welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Contact your local Isaac Walton League of America.
They might help out.

Not sure where you live but is there a Cabelas. Gander Mt. nearby?

Might have to think about doing a school wide fund raiser.....Maybe an aluminum can drop off box?
Book drive?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Check with other hunters and trappers, and taxidermists.

You can tie a lot of good flies with deer hair, feathers from grouse, pheasant and turkey, and furs from muskrat, squirrel, rabbit, groundhog, etc.

Also, yarns at craft and sewing shops are very inexpensive.

You can use use Doritos bags for flashbacks, tinsel etc.

You can buy a cheap paint brush and have enough tailing material to last a long time.

You can get some carpet scraps, cut off some yarn and blend it with fur for dubbing.

You can even snip some fur off a cat for dubbing. (Some cat owners have been known to object, though!)

Check with your local TU chapter, they may be able to help out.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys . . . I will def. look into TU.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Fly Guy....a few years ago I was looking for some donations for our student sportsman's club and you sent us a box of flies (I think it was you). I have a bunch of materials that I no longer use since I don't tie much anymore and would love to return the favor to keep kids involved. PM me your address and I'll send as much as I can your way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts