The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe I lied a little on my post about how things that cost more aren't always better. In my quest to master my friends noodle rod strategy I discovered the cheap 8lb mono I was using wasn't sensitive enough. I don't mind light 2lb and 4lb mono but the 8lb stuff was a pain. I wanted to keep 8lb on my noodle rod in case I hook into larger than average fish but I also needed something as light and sensitive as 4lb test. I didn't want to use FireLine because it gets too tightly wrapped on the spool and it is nearly impossible to break in case of snags. When at the sport shop I noticed fluorocarbon which I never tried before. It looked right for my needs so I bought some. What is your experience with fluorocarbon?

·
Registered
357 Posts
For the type of fishing you are doing, I think floro is the ticket. Your whole approach is stealth so it fits the style nicely.

I've tried floro with spinners and just didn't like it for line twist purposes. I keep just going back to my trusty mono stren. I do however still use floro for salmon fishing. Oh and forgot to add, when I pick up a new Bass reel I'll definitely be going with 8 floro on that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only use my noodle rod for natural bait. It doesn't work so good with spinners as casting accuracy seems to diminish with such a long rod. The key to my friends strategy is to make the bait look as natural as possible which means no split shot, visible line, or big hooks. He almost uses his noodle rod like a fly rod and floats the bait into the right spots so it appears as if it was heading down stream naturally. I have had some success with my noodle rod the problem I had was the cheap, thick mono. My noodle rod is sensitive enough. Catching an 8 inch brookie on it feels like you are reeling in a salmon.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I been using fluoro for quite some time.
its very low vis has extreme sensitivity, no stretch and good knot strength, but it also has a lot of memory.
care must be taken when tying knots to get them tight without burning the fluoro, so keep the knot wet while tying

I use it primarily on all my bait caster or conventional reels.
I don't use it with spinning gear because the high memory along with the spool lay causes a lot of twist

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I haven't used fluorocarbon since i remember it getting popular 15-20 some years ago...

I remember it having a heck of a memory...being "brittle" and kinda hard.. almost like fiber optic..it did seem invisible...but didn't work for me...

So..last week I needed to put fresh line on my trout spinner fishin rod...figured I'd give the fluorocarbon another try...

It was softer than I remember....and limper than mono..."hmm... might be a winner!" I thought...

I spooled up and couldn't get over how limp it was...it laid on the reel nicely...

Long stpry short...2hrs later I was fishing and it was nothing but trouble fishing spinners....twists like nothing else...

Also it frayed badly...I'm always checking the last 3-5ft of line for Nick's and frays...i regularly nip off the end and retie....bit the fluorocarbon was much worse IMO...

Came home and pulled it off...

Just didn't work for my style of fishing...

On a noodle rod it may be worth a try... totally different style of fishing and it might work perfectly....

I still wanna try braid...i think it'll twist badly too though...but you can't beat the sensitivity of braid...I've fished it for hundreds of hours salt water fishing and never had troubles except running planner boards trolling...itd twist then...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Which type of fluoro did you use Mauser? I use fluoro on most of my stuff. I have had some really big messes with it but that was mostly my fault for putting the line on incorrectly.

I changed brands to seaguar and so far it has been really good. I don't run spinners that much but last time out I didn't have twisting issues.

Have you tried a copolymer line? I spooled my wife up with some p-line floro-clear line which is a copolymer and so far she has been happy but its still to early to tell how good the line is.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Like Mauser I had the same issue's with Flouro(Seagaur) back in the early days. Brittle and not very abrasion resistant, don't think I left it on long enough to check for line twist.

Before Flouro I was using Silver Thread AN-40 6lb for most of my spin fishing(panfish, trout, bass{both} and walleye) It is a thinner diameter line the same as Stren Magna Thin. In fact I started with Magna Thin but they had issues and took it off the market for a couple of years. That was when I switched to AN-40 which was touted as an all weather line, perfect for winter walleye. Haven't changed since - probably close to 20 years LOL. It is hard to find locally since Cabela's and Walmart put the small shops out of business so I have to order it on-line.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the Berkeley Vanish Line and it doesn't seem to have much memory. I haven't hit the water yet but have cast it in my yard. It seems nice and limber. I think I put a little too much line on the spool. I think it'll work for my purposes.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Be careful... You get what you pay for.. I purchased the cheapest 2 lb Flouro carbon line They had at Dicks sporting goods... Here the stuff was only coated with Flouro. I lost a few trout.. The line broke.. it just didn't seem strong enough.. I went back purchased 100% Flouro 2 lb line and the fish were not getting away..

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It sounds like you guys are spooling up your entire reel with fluoro. I think that is unnecessary.

My preferred brand of fluorocarbon is Drennan for the tippet portion only, and if floating via centerpin or bait fishing with spin outfit - I join the tippet to the mono mainline via a micro barrel swivel (breakpoint).

That is the standard centerpin float setup in GL Trib fishing and works just as well on the Pa Streams.

The Fluoro available on the big spools is not the same animal as the small 35yd tippet spools.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts