The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone hunted with Swamp Gobblers Outfitting down in FL. I spoke with the owner and he sounded legit but I can't find a web site for them. I did find mention of them from other sites, If it's the same outfitter. And their Face book page was only started in January of this year. He did have one of his clients call and speak to me. Any thoughts?

Camo

·
Registered
470 Posts
Camo, check with the florida fish and game, I believe in Fla, their outfitters need to be licensed to run a business, and to lease state ground to conduct hunts on, also check with their hometown Better Business bureau, even if they're not registered with them, sometimes people file reports anyhow. Try to get a personal name from the man(or woman) that runs or owns the business and PAY do to a back ground check on that name, it may just be a small price to pay out to save you money in the longrun. Its a touchy thing to book hunts without personal references, the client that called you could be in on the deal, a sort of double team effort. Its truely a shame that people cant be trusted these days, I like to believe that hunters wouldnt rip off other hunters, but they might be scammers. ALSO , get more info from other outfitters in that same area, alot of times a bunch of good ones will weed out the bad ones, cause they dont like bad ones making them look bad too. think about joining a turkey hunting forum or two and posting this same question on there, try the OSAGE ROOST TURKEY FORUM , TURKEY AND TURKEY HUNTING FORUM and CUSTOM CALLS ONLINE FORUM, another good one for down south info is the GON.COM(GEORGIA OUTDOOR NEWS). Best of luck to you if this trip becomes a reality, and be sure to let us all know your results, good or bad

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Try : http://www.osceolaoutdoors.com/turkey-hunting/

A friend and I went there in 2007 and it was everything and more then what we were told. Landed in fort myers fla. rented a car. Drove 1 hr to meet them at the motel they rent for the whole season at 1pm took a hr. nap went out at 4pm and we both filled our tags on two longbeards at 4:55pm. They took us hog hunting for the next 2 days for free! They are pretty much 100% opprotunity. You have to make the shot. We were recomended to them by Tim Herald.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I also went to Osceola Outdoors in 2008. Flew into Fort Myers and drove over. Had a good time. Got a sun burn hunting into the sun in the afternoon. Was also referred by Tim Herald. Would go again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info I was able to speak with both guys running the place and I feel really good about it. I have posted on a few other boards, so many now that its hard to keep up with. LOL I did try speaking to some other outfitters but they were reluctant to tackle that subject except for one guy who proceeded to tell me that all the outfitters down there were crooks thieves and lairs. At this point I've committed to hunt with them and have bought my FL license and turkey tag but the rest of the deal is cash when I get there. Otherwise I'll get there before payment arrives. and I travel with a pistol. I'll check those websites and I'll do that BG check. Easy enough from work.

Camo

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
a couple friends of mine hunted brady ranch a few years ago, both had success, but weren't pleased with how they were treated. they did get refunds, but wouldn't recommend it

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well camo I know that Osceola Outdoors is 100% legit proffesional guide service. The same time as we were pulling in the Under Armor crew was pulling out and Guys from Kicks chokes were there three days before. There has been many tv shows filmed while hunting at Osceola Outdoors. Mike Tussey the owner leases all private cattle ranches to run his service. He has thousands of acres leased around the big lake.Mike is a turkey hunting fool and he starts his scouting just before Christmas and have shot a couple birds with 2" spurs and a hair bigger. And that is how they judge a trophy bird. By his spurs not the beard. They are spur hunters and they love those black wing feathers with very few white bars. Long and black is what it's about. No worries with these guys in fact when My six year old daughter gets to be old enough to hunt Fla. we will be booking a hunt with Mike again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a good review from a guy over on Old Gobbler. I head South Thursday evening. I'll keep everyone posted.
Camo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swamp Gobbler Outfitters. I leave this evening for a 15 hour drive. All my gear is stacked neatly LOL in the living room floor ready to go. Except my home made hand made Osage orange striker with the hollow handle. I've killed birds while using it in 4 states. I lost a lot of sleep over it last night.

I'll let everyone know how it went when I get home. If you don't hear from me send help. LOL

Camo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a few that I can use ... Just not the one I made.. Maybe it will turn up. Thanks for the offer Call Man. I'm in MD just below Gettysburg. And FL is the other direction.

Camo

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Good luck! You must be hunting the southern zone. They have the earliest start to the turkey state and the purest Osceola you could harvest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swamp Gobbler outfitter is the real deal. It's a rustic camp with a bunk house instead of a lodge but the guys there are second to none and the Turkey hunting is first class

1 - 16 of 16 Posts