The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to replacing some floors in the house but am struggling with which direction to go with. I like the hardwood look and have seen some impressive hardwood looking laminate and rolled vinyl flooring. Just trying to gather some additional information on pros/cons. Basically looking to replace two bedrooms, two baths and a loft area.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
For the bathrooms I would do the vinyl sheet if you insist on the wood look . With wood,every time you have a leak or overflow the wood will expand and contract,warp and buckle. As far as the bedrooms go with wood,nothing like the real thing and helps resale value a lot.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Laminate is easy and today many folks can't tell the difference. Personally, I don't even like the prefinished hardwood. I have installed hardwood myself the old fashioned way. It is an incredible amount of work, but looks so much better. No beveled cracks between the boards and less place for spills to get down in between the pieces when the good stuff is finished and has a few coats of poly on it.

As for the bathrooms, unless you go with an easily replaceable surface like bamboo, avoid porous materials like the plague.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Go with hardwood (but i agree that the vinyl would be better in the bath)... Nothing beats the real stuff.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm looking to do part of my house too. I'm leaning toward the nailed down engineered hardwood. Hardwood veneer on ply. I've seen some that doesn't have typical grooves and you get that rock hard factory finish. I'll stay with vinyl in the bathrooms though.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I'm not a fan of laminate. Nor vinyl. Especially in a bathroom. If water gets under the edges it will lose adhesion to the subfloor and will curl. I'd do ceramic tile in a bathroom and hardwood elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Non porous tile is nice in bathrooms..

I just did a bedroom and living room and hallway in laminate...it was easy to lay...looks nice...my question is durability but it has a 25yr gaurentee and is supposed to be tough...its tough to cut..I hit it with a dremel on high speed and didn't even scratch it lol...

And it won't need refinished etc like classic hardwood... Its easy to care for...

If you want pics or more info on laying it PM me...I'm no pro and far from what I'd call a handy man and I did fine..

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Had a Pergo lifetime guarantee put in 2 years ago, within 3 months it was pulling apart at the seams and the lamination was chipping off. A claims adjuster and flooring installer from where I bought it came and looked at the floor a few months ago, said everything was installed correctly, and the laminate flooring was defective, and that they have had quite a few complaints on Pergo. The house they visited before me, they said the exact same floor was put down in November 2013 and had the same defects as mine. Pergo is giving me a whole new floor, the problem is, now I have to move all the appliances and cabinets around in the kitchen and take the base trim off to re-do it. When a person pays for top of the line flooring with a lifetime guarantee, I wasn't expecting to be ripping it all out 2 years later. I had a nice hardwood floor under the old linoleum when we tore it up, and the guy that did the installation wanted to sand and finish it, I wish I would of went that route.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
i would stay away from any pergo, floating wood floor, click together laminate, whatever you wanna call it. Real hardwood is def the way to go if you want wood look. Vinyl flooring is good for a bathroom, not my thing but its good for wet applications. I prefer ceramic in any bathrooms or kitchens, but it cost more and more involved in the installation. Ive been installing floors for almost 15 years now, most commercial applications but ive installed almost every kind of floor.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talking with some flooring people they are recommending an engineered hardwood for me because I heat the house with a wood pellet stove and it does dry out a good bit. The engineered should not swell/shrink like a standard hardwood would. Vinyl or ceramic for bathrooms.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Must be the season for flooring.
I am getting rid of carpeting and installing hardwood. I haven't determined which hardwood or whether or not I will get finished or unfinished. I'm also still trying to figure out what to install in the kitchen and bathrooms.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Was just at my sisters...they redid their kitchen...i don't know what it is...basically a linoleum type wood looking deal...it looked nice and didn't look or feel cheap...not sure what it is exactly...I think my parents are going to do their kitchen in it...we're afraid to do much else because the poor addition job sits a few inches below the main floor..someone failed "measure twice and cut once" or it settled a few inches...

Another flooring option I've never seen..brother in law said it was simple to install..

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Lol we didn't get to talk much about it at Easter dinner..

Must be vinyl sheet flooring after googling it...

Not sure but I think it would work in kitchens and bathrooms where wood and laminate isn't a great idea..and can probably get it to match wood or laminate...

It looked nice...another option I will look into if ever doing floors..though I'm the kinda guy that rather spend the money on something that'll outlast me..not sure how long the parents laminate will last or my sisters vinyl sheeting..

I know after getting rid of the carpet in my parents house my allergies are a lot better and the house smells better..that's why I am on a flooring kick..lol. And looking at options for when I have my own house...

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
WexfordBowhunter said:
I'm not a fan of laminate. Nor vinyl. Especially in a bathroom. If water gets under the edges it will lose adhesion to the subfloor and will curl. I'd do ceramic tile in a bathroom and hardwood elsewhere.
+1 Tile in the bathroom, quality hardwood everywhere else.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Unless you plan on remaining in this house the rest of your life, 3/4" hardwood in the bedrooms, tile in the bathrooms. We just renovated the kitchen, dining room, living room and hallways with 5" plank oak hardwood. Looks great and it is even easier on the legs to walk on than the previous carpet. Look at what you put into the house as how it will affect resale value as well.

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
I put real red oak floor in the Kitchen almost 20 years ago. It got a coating of grain filler, then a coat of sealer and then four coats of poly. Sanding each in between. Nothing ever soaked through to the wood, even with a toddler that constantly spilled kool aid. A cast iron pan was dropped on it and made a slight dent which I fixed immediately. Drop a cast iron pan on tile and see what happens.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I put pre-finished hardwood in my old house about a month before I decided to sell it.It looked awesome but cost me a pile of money.A good friend of mine convinced me to rent the house to his lowlife son.The son and his wife broke the lease and snuck a huge dog in.The dog friggin destroyed my brand new floor.The moral of the story is,never rent to a lowlife and don't put pre-finished harwood down if you have a big dog.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Flooring options are really hard. Once we started looking into it in terms of off gassing, maintenance and the fumes we'd be dealing with, I got real discouraged, especially with young kids. We ended up with Ikea cheap laminate because it seemed like the least smelly (and least toxic) option. It's held up well in places like bedrooms and the family room. Real wood is great, but polying it and living with the smell and fumes for so long was out of the question for me. I think I would love slate or concrete or tile but that it impractical, too, for a whole house. I do like the look of the sheet vinyl hardwood, though. I would not mind that in the kitchen and bathroom and when we are ready to switch in the kitchen, I will probably do something like that. Ikea laminate is cheaper than Pergo, but I think it holds up a little better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts