The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tracker Grizzly and got some diamond plate alum. scraps from work for free. I made two panels one for each side and will support them with alum. angle on the back of the bench and transom. How much should I worry about venting for the tank?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess this was a stupid ? I think what I'm going to do is get a piece of peg board or some thing else perforated and drill a pattern trough out the panels to vent the area to prevent fumes.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I don't think the store bought models have ventilation.... You could always take a walk around a local dealer to see how theirs are set up. Just act like you're buying.
Or, just to be safe, do as you say.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You will need a blower ventilation system if your gas is below decks. Gasoline fumes will not vent up on their own.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
While most on-board tanks have a vent on the side of the boat if you are going to enclose something that was not previously the 50 bucks for a vent motor and switch is a cheap investment.
Good Luck

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
I would still put in a bilge blower, gas fumes are heavier thann atmosphere and will hang in the lowest section of the boat.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
All those holes are going to do is allow water to drain into the bilge, gasoline fumes are heavier that air which means they will sink to the bottom of the boat and the holes you drilled will not vent them. If you have any wiring connections under the deck (floor) there is a chance of a spark and then boom! You need a spark protected bilge blower and a vent connected to the blower somewhere above deck to get rid of any fumes that may be in the bilge. I saw a boat blow up because they had gas in the bilge, the owner turned the key to start the boat and boom. It can and does happen. You have a cheat fix available you should use it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John I'm going to drill the the holes out to 1/2" just for sure and add more around the perimeter as well as directly over the fill/vent cap. Currently there is a hole every 2". I've been thinking of putting two or three holes through floor over keels in front the rear bench with 2-3" removable vent caps to increase natural ventilation as well as make easier to rinse out.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
If your intending to use the small holes as vents you need to put a scoop somewhere forward that will force air down into the bilge to move the fumes up and out.
This works when underway, but won't help much when you sat out on the lake/river for several hours and all that shiney metal you installed heats us like a skillet from the sun causing your fuel tanks to expand and vent in an enclosed area.
You might save money by not buying a bilge fan but the amount of work you are spending trying to modify the situation is hardly worth the time.
I saw several boats sittling at the dock go up when the driver hit the key and something below deck sparks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info. So far I took one of the panels and drilled out original holes to 1/2" and added 1/4" holes in between and . When I hold it up I can see across the garage. It will almost be like expanded metal. It is just to cover red tank & gray batteries on duck/fishing boat and they will be camo when finished

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I guess you missed the part about gas fumes being heavier than air. I really don't care what you do but holes in the deck will not do what you think they will do. You asked for advise and then completely ignore the advise given by several people that is the safest fix. If you have a battery and wires and a gas tank in an enclosed area in a boat, you should have a bilge blower. Those holes in the deck will just give the gas fumes more oxygen to make a bigger explosion. The real fix is simpler and easier than what you are doing. I hope you do not get a free trip to the moon, I really do.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
All you can do is make suggestions man. Some people, not accusing anyone of anything here, are just gonna do what ever they want no matter what the opposition says. Historically i've always been one to learn the hard way as well, lol. I think im getting better at that the older i get though. On another note, this got me thinking about my own rig. Its got a built in fuel tank and a vent near the fill cap. This may be a dumb question, but do you think mine has a blower installed? If i recall correctly i remember seeing some sort of contraption sitting on the top of the tank when i looked in there.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
You may see a fuel filter or a water separator, a bilge fan would /should sit lower then the top of the tank.
There would also be a switch to turn on the blower since you would not have it run all the time.
A small cap full of gas has the explosive capabilities of a quarter stick of dynamite, not exactly the type of excitement you want to experience on a fun day on the water.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You might be right, but i know its not the fuel filter or water separator because i know where both of those are. Ill have to check it out when i go home. Its a sealed tank thats vented to the outside of the boat.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Could also be the fuel gague sending unit, it should have a screw and a wire running to it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why not do it right and just vent the tank. One hole in the tank and one in the gunnels and a piece of 1/2 inch hose. Your nice rear deck would have been a lot better without all the holes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts