The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unexpecyedly my ADT alarm went off this morning so I made the trip to camp in Sheffield this morning.
I traveled Blue Jay, 666 into Sheffield

Anyone with camps along Blue Jay especially creek side you might want to make a visit. Sheets of ice and water heavy flooding right down the road below Job Corp Rd. Tried to rescue a car that was stuck in it, but FD had to be called.

Anyone else prone to along the Tionesta Creek And it’s branches,

Sheffield, Barnes, Brookston, Lynch, Mayburg all the way to Hickory you better get up and check. It’s bad up there

Good luck

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I seen some pics of the road into Mayburg, no access, covered with water and chunks of ice, seen a couple pics of Salmon Creek Road flooded at Kellettville bridge, and a few pics of the old battle ax Nebraska Bridge taking the usual beating from the ice flow as it has for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Last year same day we had flooding. It was higher in Sheffield then. BUT other areas may be worse this year due to the ice. I will see if I can some how get the video of the Nebraska bridge ice.

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
Great video WS. My cabin sits high on Whig Hill, so I'm safe from the flooding. Hope there is no major damage to any of the camps this weekend

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
A guy who lives in my area, grew up in the Tionesta area, and he tells me stories of when he was in high school, him and a friend would canoe over top of the Nebraska bridge when it was completely underwater. He is 67 years old, so it would be 50 years ago.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
That is a well built bridge...
Ill say. Every time this happens, and it happens a lot, when the water goes down and threes mud and logs and even big rocks piled on the bridge I always wonder how it stands up to it.

·
Registered
21,274 Posts
Do they ever inspect it in the summer when the creek is down? I cant imagine it getting flooded and beat up like this time and time again and the bridge not starting to wear down....

·
Registered
22,134 Posts
that bridge was probably built with U.S. made Carnegie steel from Pittsburgh and not some imported stuff. :)

hope everyones camp survives.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
A few years ago the bridge was closed due to the ice jam and it had to be inspected, the engineers were concerned that the ice had moved the bridge off its bearing pads. Probably 15 to 20 years ago, I remember reading an article where they had preliminary plans for a new bridge, raised quite a few feet off the water, I seen the drawings and plans for it in the local paper, probably wasn't feasible to sink a ton of money into a bridge not on a main roadway and in a sparsely populated area. It just wouldn't be the same driving across a new high-tech bridge after all these years of using that one and seeing it underwater. This past weekend there was a major ice jam and high water at the East Brady bridge, probably the worst since 1965, one of the comments I made and heard from many other older locals was it was no fun watching the ice flow since they blew up the old bridge and put the new one high off the river in 2005. I remember in the 60s and 70s we would hang around the river when the ice backed-up and a few times it was pushing against the Brady bridge and a couple times even lifted it off the pillars. When we were in high school the ice jams were a big thing, you would be in class and somebody would come down the hallway hollering into the rooms the ice is jammed. Back in those days the teacher would say field trip, and everybody would head for a day at the river. The good old days of growing up.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
It amazes me having worked for the RR that our bridges over rivers, roads, streams, viaducts , stone and steel are still okay after 150 years. The two Johnstown floods couldn't take one out. Penn Dot has to replace one every 6 years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts