The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there
i saw a nice stainless steel flintlock with fiber optic sights on it. thinking of getting it but i thought that u can only use flintlocks with vnotch type sights?

chuck

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok
so i can use one like that even during the late season muzzleloader? i was just reading the regulations for that season.

chuck

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
You are now allowed to use a weapon in the Flintlock season that has a stainless steel barrel, fiber optic front sight, funny shaped bullets, laminated stocks, and even a peep sight

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Thanks, gwh, I needed that!

At the flintlock point of the season, we've chased our Pennsylvania deer with all sorts of bows and crossbows, modern in-lines, and rifles of a gazillion different calibers and range possibilities, including those that shoot across Pa.'s Grand Canyon!

It would have been nice, at least, to keep the flintlock season historically correct! Just like the 18th. century, guns during our special, one-of-a-kind season, are suppose to mis-fire, flash-in-the-pan, and harvest a limited number of whitetails using fixed open sights and patched round balls!

It just cranks an old fellow like me to an unhealthy level of consternation! I need two more olives!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It just cranks an old fellow like me to an unhealthy level of consternation! I need two more olives!
How bout Three olives, they make a bunch of flavored vodkas.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Berks I too am saddened by all this technology during a season that was sacred!

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I can understand your concern but it's still an ancient ignition system with a single projectile.I have a TC renegade with the original iron sights and I shoot roundballs out of it.I also have a RMC accuspoter that shoots sabots and has a front fiber optic bead.Both have a maximum effective range of about 60 yards in my hands.I may be able to stretch that to 75 yards with a solid rest but either way,the challenge is still there.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I understand where Berks is coming from BUT I had trouble w/ the iron front sight on the renegade I inherited from dad. I added the T/C FO sights but I also went back to PRB from maxi hunters...I feel I owe it to my quarry to make the best shot I can for a clean kill...

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
There are problems with alot of factory sights. I hated thhe sights on my TC Hawken, and somme factory sights have front posts that are so wide they are 6 MOA wide. Add to that front post contrast for ambient lighting and there's a host of sight problems. I found that dabbing some flat slightly off white paint on the back of the post helped alot.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Bunky said:
Berks I too am saddened by all this technology during a season that was sacred!
That's the problem, Bunky................. nothing is sacred anymore! First was the concurrent seasons, then AR and HR, now we got that darn mentored youth season, crossbows in archery and they're even talking about legalizing sunday hunting now!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
KEQ, When you have your hands around a traditional style flintlock, there's no hedge room. If J.P. Beck would recognize your rifle as something made in his lifetime, then we're talking "traditional".

The PGC opened the season to rifles that do not fit that 18th. century look. That is fine with me. I simply hope those with non-traditional weapons see the light somewhere down the road.

This season has never been about deer management. This season is about flintlocks, and remembering those amazing Pennsylvania gunsmiths who provided them. The history of these amazing weapons should be required reading for any hunter heading out after Christmas.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It is the only tradition left in this state lets keep it that way. In the early season I think I was the only one on that mountain with a flint lock. I kinda got looks from everyone like thats a shame you do not have a gun with a scope and a waterproof ignition. Those guns load from the muzzle and that is it in my book. If it where not for my own mistake I would have had a deer it was not the gun it was me that let the water get to my pan. That is what I like about the traditional guns it is all on you no excuses

·
Banned
900 Posts
I got the same looks on a boar hunt a few weeks ago. Those looks changed after the 78yd kill shot on the first hog we saw. Carried the flinter for the 1st day of bear and then switched to the inline for the next 2 days due to the rain. It did not feel right so.....back to the flinter for the 1st day of buck!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts