The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
brute750 said:
I empty my flintlock at the end of every day. Leaving the gun outside may seem correct, but I've had misfires, and wet powder just from big temp changes while hunting. IMO wet and then dried powder wont burn the same. You might only get one shot during muzzle loader season, I am not willing to risk the gun not firing because I was too lazy to pull the ball and do a quick cleaning when I get home.
Nothing at all wrong with being safe. Nothing wrong with taking an extra measure either when transporting. Hammer all the way down and frizzen open! NO other way!!!

I opt for the tape over the touchhole when transporting. In fact, I keep electrical tape over the hole the entire time I hunt, and prime only when I have a shot present itself. I've never encountered an ignition/moisture problem....or accidental discharge doing this.

..a little more than the topic, I get my best grouping using a teflon coated cloth patch in a clean barrel. That is what goes in first as it requires loading with a range rod. Nice and tight..and dry. No worries about moisture. Following shots are done with a TOW mink oil patch. Groups open up slightly but very suitable. My biggest worry is keeping the frizzen dry in wet weather. Metal can absorb moisture. If the frizzen is soaked..you'll have ignition trouble.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Just an idea that, of all places, New Jersey has their HE Instructors teach as part of their "rifle course" which includes muzzleloaders:

A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when there is no percussion cap on the nipple, or no pwder in the pan and a rubber boot on the frizzen........ I don't know where one might obtain a "rubber boot", but the traditional leather boot on the frizzen will accomplish the objective, and I seriously dought would be challenged here in Pa.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts