The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother recently bought a traditions pa pellet. I was attemting to sight it in yesterday and this morning and it was grouping good at 25 yds but was consistently hitting low. Maxed out moving the rear sight up and Tried several different powder charges/projectile combos and it was hitting low with all of them! Im talking like 3-4" low at 25yds. Im a relatively experienced flintlock shooter and open sight shooter in general, so i dont believe its me flinching etc. Sight picture was consistent on all shots. I even got my PA pellet out and tried my hunting load with it and it was dead on, tried it with his and low again! His was bought used but barrel is clean etc. Sights look like original fiber optics. Any ideas on causes/fixes to this? Maybe front sight or rear height off?? Im flustered!!

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
My brother recently bought a traditions pa pellet. I was attemting to sight it in yesterday and this morning and it was grouping good at 25 yds but was consistently hitting low. Maxed out moving the rear sight up and Tried several different powder/projectile combos and it was hitting low with all of them! Im talking like 3-4" low at 25yds. Im a relatively experienced flintlock shooter and open sight shooter in general, so i dont believe its me flinching etc. Sight picture was consistent on all shots. I even got my PA pellet out and tried my hunting load with it and it was dead on, tried it with his and low again! His was bought used but barrel is clean etc. Sights look like original fiber optics. Any ideas on causes/fixes to this? Maybe front sight or rear height off?? Im flustered!!
I had the exact opposite problem with mine. I was like 7” high at 50yrds. I called traditions and they sent a taller front sight. I’d give them a call. Does it ya e the Williams sights or the large orange plastic blade on the front?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok just dug through my stuff and found the williams stock sights off my PA pellet that i pulled when i added the RMC Vpeep. The rear sights appear to match but the front sight on his is lower then the one that came off mine. Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
9,895 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Guys, if the rifle is shooting low the front site must be lowered. Not raised. With the rear site you go the same way you want to move the shot. With the front site you go the opposite. Just like Cscott1 siad, his rifle was shooting high. So the sent him a taller front site. If you rifle is shooting low, you need to LOWER the front site.

Reactions: blackpowder

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Ok just dug through my stuff and found the williams stock sights off my PA pellet that i pulled when i added the RMC Vpeep. The rear sights appear to match but the front sight on his is lower then the one that came off mine. Would that make a difference?

If the new front site is lower than the old one it will raise the point of impact.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Had the same problem with one of my flinters.

Cut a small, round brass button from some stock, sprung the rear sight up and slid it under. Problem solved !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts