The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thompson center .50 cal is shooting high with the back sight bottomed out. It is shooting 7" high at 25 yards,13" high at 50 yards, and 9" high at 100 yards. This is off a bench and sand bags. Does it make sense to put a taller sight on the front? I beleive the sights to be original to the barrel. It shoot nice groups just very high. Any ideas on fixing this. I know I'm not flinching, I also know how to shoot open sights.
I'm shooting 70 grains of powder

·
Registered
781 Posts
This is something I learned from shooting handguns. Heavy bullets with light loads will always shoot high. Try a lighter bullet with a heavier powder charge and your sights will probably be OK. A heavier bullet causes more muzzle jump and if it exits the barrel slower it will pick more of the jump up and go higher. I don't know what kind of bullets you are using. If using balls there may not be anything you can do.

Other thing, on TCs, some had a v notch sight that had a bead on the front sight. Mine have a big blade rear in the back with a straight slot and a straight front sight (no bead). You may have the wrong combination of front and rear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always used bead centered. 6 o'clock will get me closer but its still not enough to hit bulls eye. I tried that today at the range.

I'm shooting the same ball patch and powder combo that my buddies are shooting and they are shooting fine. 70 grain powder. 490 ball and prelubed patches

Thanks for the input guys I'm looking for any help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also my sights are a blade in rear. With a square notch. And a blade front with I bead on top.

I'm assuming if I measure to the bottom of the notch on rear and bottom of bead on the front, they should measure the same. If the front sight is on the center tick mark. Is this correct?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I have several Renegades and Hawkens. All but one have a tapered blade front sight with beaded top, The rear sight is a v-notch, not squared.
One of my older renegades has a square notch rear sight and the front is a thick straight (patridge style) blade. The top of the straight blade is approx. 1/16" taller than the top bead sight.
Sounds like someone either changed the front or rear sight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. I got anew taller front sight and new rear sight. Now just need to find a few hours to sight it in.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
90gr FF black powder, 370gr maxi balls has been a great load for my Hawkens and Renegades. 2" high at 30, dead on at 65, 2" low at 100.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts