The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a .50 cal Flintlock rifle. I want either a Kentucky or Pennsylvania long rifle. this is going to be my first flintlock and dont want to put to much into it. i am looking to spend around 150-200. can anyone help me? thanks Nate

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I don't want to dissuade you from your search but the days of a 200 dollar KY or Pa rifle are long gone.You can't even buy an ugly synthetic stocked flinter for that amount.
Jim

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
There were a few, low quality long guns with two piece stocks that used bring around $100 to $150. However, in 45 caliber and frankly alot of them have less than reliable locks. You would be better off with a hawken/half stock style rifle You may well find a CVA hawken, or Cabela's Investarm Hawken for about the upper end of your price range.

I once bought a bubba'd 50 cal smoothie for $100, but paid that because it had decent quality parts. The gun wasn't even a shooter as it sat, needed alot of work. With quality locks running over $100 and a reasonable barrel being over $100, even crappy used guns and unfinished kits can be worth more than $200. You may well find one, but there will be alot of guys also looking to pick up such bargains.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Nate,a Kentucky or PA long Rifle will set you back 800-1000 bucks..Do yourself a favor and get on gunbroker.com and watch for a Thompson Center Renegade Flintlock 50 caliber rifle used for 150-200.This is about the price they are going for. You can get the gun shipped right to your door no FFL needed..Also your used gun has a lifetime warranty from TC.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Before you spend your hard earned money, I would suggest buying Chuck Dixon's wonderful book, "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle". This inexpensive text is my "go-to" source with every longrifle project I attempt.

I used it a few years back to put together a TOTW "kit" of a fine little .36 cal. limb bacon rifle for under $600. I'm not a craftsman, I'm an old retired school teacher for goodness sakes. You can do it as well, and as Chuck recounts, one of his gun building students accomplished it with the kitchen table as his work bench!

I'd be single AGAIN, if I'd tried that, but this suggests that if you have the time, a modicum of wood-working skills, that building a respectable example of an 18th Century longrifle isn't as daunting as the engraved and carved rifles you might encounter in Shumway's tomes.

A simple, barn gun of the era, without the trappings, will shoot just as accurately, and offer the same sense of history as an exact reproduction of a J. P. Beck rifle might offer at hundreds($$$$) the cost.

As a lefty, I struggled 40 years ago with right-handed TC Hawkens and right-handed Hatfields, but before throwing in the towel, I had a left-handed long gun built as a last resort. I've never looked back, and now hunt exclusively with flintlocks, from doves to deer!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
if i was you i would save a little more and look into the lyman rifles they are very reliable flintlocks and shoot great

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
;yman or tc are good, traditions gets you in the woods, unless you find someone hardup real tough for what youre asking

1 - 10 of 10 Posts