The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been archery and rifle hunting deer my whole life. I have never picked up a flintlock muzzleloader before because I was never exposed to them growing up. I already have an inline but I want to hunt this flintlock season. So, I am looking for a good flintlock muzzloader that will shoot conical bullets and shoot them well. (I don't think im ready to do RBs because the accuracy and range scares me) .

Thanks,
Chase

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Hi, I have been archery and rifle hunting deer my whole life. I have never picked up a flintlock muzzleloader before because I was never exposed to them growing up. I already have an inline but I want to hunt this flintlock season. So, I am looking for a good flintlock muzzloader that will shoot conical bullets and shoot them well. (I don't think im ready to do RBs because the accuracy and range scares me) .

Thanks,
Chase
I'm no expert and maybe the flintlock guys will weigh in, but I think what you want in a 50 cal is a barrel with a 1:48 or similar twist rate, not 1:66 which is optimum for round balls. The various TC's like the Renegade, Hawkens and variants have a 1:48 rate. My 50 cal TC White Mountain Carbine with a 1:38 twist shoots a 385gr Hornady Great Plains bullet over 80 grains of BP very accurately. I shoot the same bullet and load (but with pyrodex) in my 50 cal Renegade 1:48 percussion rifle with good results as well.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Don't be scared of RB's.They are just as accurate if not more than a conical.If a RB hits a twig it continures closer to the line than when a conical starts to tumble afterwards.Both kill deer and I have killed deer with both.Both give less than 1 1/2" groups at 50 yds.If you are set on conical shooting a Lyman Great Plains Hunter would be good.
I hunt squirrels with RB in 32 and 36 and get good head shots at up to 40 yds no problem.Here is a side by sie comparison I did years back with the 45 TC Seneca.50grs FFFg was the powder charge.
DSCF1897 by t410er, on Flickr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't be scared of RB's.They are just as accurate if not more than a conical.If a RB hits a twig it continures closer to the line than when a conical starts to tumble afterwards.Both kill deer and I have killed deer with both.Both give less than 1 1/2" groups at 50 yds.If you are set on conical shooting a Lyman Great Plains Hunter would be good.
I hunt squirrels with RB in 32 and 36 and get good head shots at up to 40 yds no problem.Here is a side by sie comparison I did years back with the 45 TC Seneca.50grs FFFg was the powder charge.
DSCF1897 by t410er, on Flickr
Oh wow, good point. What would you suggest for strictly a rb flintlock?

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
If money isn't a problem,go custom !
And if it is, look around for an older TC. Even if you pay a premium for it, it will always be worth what you paid for it if you take care of it. They are/were a great rifle. I would stay away from a new Lyman, I have had to work on too many of them right out of the box for people. Nothing at all wrong with shooting a RB, they will kill if you do your part.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I just ordered a box of Hornady 50 cal. 240 grain PA conical 1/66 twist bullets to use or try in my older model RMC flintlock.

I also have used T/C maxi balls and they preformed just about the same at 75 yards as RBs out of my TC flintlock with a 1/48 twist. Both have taken deer

A buddy of mine just bought a brand new left handed RMC with 1/28 twist that cost about 1K

·
Registered
560 Posts
Can’t beat the RMC , I have one and it shoots 250 grain jacked hollow points the same as a inline. But my other flintlock shoots round balls the same and a bit faster.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
If you are looking for something to shoot just conicals, get the right twist. Bob Hoyt can make whatever twist you want. Buy a smaller caliber barrel, that is rusted out, take it to Hoyt, tell him what bullet you are going to shoot, and he can bore the barrel up a caliber, at a good twist rate. You can also buy some 48 twist barrels, and try to find a conical that may shoot decent. 48 is just a comprimise twist, kind of a gamble. Cheaper to just get a barrel done in the right twist. And what one man calls accurate enough, is another mans junk. I have a renegade and three barrels, a stock 48, a Hoyt 38 and a Hoyt 32 twist, all three will shoot a conical, but the the two faster twists are more accurate. I prefer conicals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts