The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of making a summer project (this summer) of building a 50 caliber flintlock pistol. Because they are legal for Pa. hunting and they are just neat.

However, OTOH I don't see 'em has much use if they can't get to the vital's of a whitetail at 50 yards.

I'm not impressed with the Traditions kit guns, so I'm looking more at building one with quality parts that I will choose. A Siler or L&R lock and a Green Mountain Barrel will be the shooting part. So, I'm thinking I should be able to use a FF powder charge of at least 60 or 70 grains under a 240 gr. conical.

But again, I'm just guessing.

I currently shoot a Green Mt. 50 cal. barrel with a 90 grain charge of FF under a 240 lead conical. This will easily drop a whitetail at 100 yards....but the barrel is...Ghee, I don't recall....maybe 32" or so long.

However, I can't seem to Google up a chart that gives me the powder charge and MV of a 50 caliber flint pistol. And I don't want to build one only to find out it will kill a whitetail....out to 10 yards.

So....does anyone know what the MV of a good muzzle-pipe pistol be? And the powder charge of the same?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
Dave, I am with you. I want a good quality hunitng flintlock pistol for 50 yards and under, probably under depending on the killing ability of the pistol.

·
Banned
900 Posts
The guy to ask may be Mark KW. He seems to have a ton of knowledge about such things. He posts more on the traditional side. I asked him some stuff about flinter pistols and he was really helpful.

The wife (at my suggestion) bought me a Traditions trapper kit for Christmas. I'm kinda experimenting with a build and did not want to spend a ton of money and screw it up. If I get it together the way I like I'm hoping to buy a kit later from TVM and put a better quality weapon down the road. I'm really not confident enough to go from scratch. I'm more of a wrench and socket guy......wood scares me!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Dave T
Here is some load data on a T/C Scout 10" barrel .50 cal with a 350 maxi hunter
Powder----MV----ME---Velocity-&-Energy at 50 yd
70gr..FF....1120..989....878.......608
80gr..FF....1166..1072...932.......685
90gr..FF....1241...1214..993.......777
100gr.FF....1295...1322..1000......788

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Retiredusne8 said:
Dave T
Here is some load data on a T/C Scout 10" barrel .50 cal with a 350 maxi hunter
Powder----MV----ME---Velocity-&-Energy at 50 yd
70gr..FF....1120..989....878.......608
80gr..FF....1166..1072...932.......685
90gr..FF....1241...1214..993.......777
100gr.FF....1295...1322..1000......788

This is way cool info!! Where did you get it?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
Gosh a 10 inch 50 cal barrel with 100 grains of powder. Powder and bullet must have taken up the bottom 4 inches of barrel, leaving only 6 for the bullet to traverse.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
also take notice that the increaase of velocity from 90 grains to 100 grains at the 50 yd mark, is practically nil

I think that powder would probably burn more efficiently behind a larger caliber bullet/ball.

I've been thinking about a 58 or 62 caliber flint pistol.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
also take notice that the increaase of velocity from 90 grains to 100 grains at the 50 yd mark, is practically nil

I think that powder would probably burn more efficiently behind a larger caliber bullet/ball.

I've been thinking about a 58 or 62 caliber flint pistol.
I agree that a bigger caliber would be better and the cost wouldn't be much differant.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I don't see how that much FFg gets burned in 10" of barrel.The guys that have the TC Patriots in 45 cal.are burning around 20grs.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The T\C Patriot Supplmental Manuel shows for the 45 caliber, the minimum load is 20 grains of FF will give you 853fps, and the maximum charge of 35 grains of FF will give you 1071fps.

I guess the Patriot has a 10" barrel. And what I want to build will have a 12" barrel, and be a 50 caliber. So, I would think 50gr. of FF would not be an unreasonable charge for that barrel. (That's a guess on my part).

Dave

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Don Yerks has made many a fine pistol ---- PM him ---he is here in PA. Illpost a pic of one of his beauties.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I personally don't like MAX loads.
TC recomends 90grs max for the 45cal Seneca.I use 40grs and kill deer.
TC recomends 60grs max for the 36cal Seneca.I use 40grs and am working on less.
TC recomends 50grs max for the 32cal Cherokee.I use 20grs and others use 10-12grs.
TC recomends 120 max for the 58 cal.Big Boar.I use max.It groups the best.BUT ITS BRUTAL!

Max loads don't always give tightest groups.Sometimes they do.Find what it likes to eat.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Here is an example of one of the finest pistol makers alive. JMHO-----

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
410-er said:
I personally don't like MAX loads.
TC recomends 90grs max for the 45cal Seneca.I use 40grs and kill deer.
TC recomends 60grs max for the 36cal Seneca.I use 40grs and am working on less.
TC recomends 50grs max for the 32cal Cherokee.I use 20grs and others use 10-12grs.
TC recomends 120 max for the 58 cal.Big Boar.I use max.It groups the best.BUT ITS BRUTAL!

Max loads don't always give tightest groups.Sometimes they do.Find what it likes to eat.

Isn't the Seneca a rifle? I'm lookin for pistol info.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bunky,,

Oh yeah.....now you've went and made me short out my keyboard from drool!!!!

Thanks!!!.....Actually my plan is to build one all by myself. Even though it may look like a chunk of cave-man wood with a piece of metal sticking out of it.....it will be "My Pistol".

Actually, I've built a few rifles in the past (the long past....in another life) so if I take my time, it should turn out OK.

And from what I'm seeing, with a 50 caliber and a 12" barrel, a 50 yard kill shot will be no problem.

Thank you guys for all of your input!

Dave

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Bunky
Dose the pistol have a set trigger?
What is the barrel length?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts