The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a left handed Lyman Deerstalker flintlock. I want to install a peep sight. Does anyone have any experience with Lyman peepsights or ones that fit? Feedback is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I find to drill 2 new holes for the rear peep about 1/2" from the front tang screw other wise you have to dig into the stock for good eye placement

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
45-70bpcr said:
Just fyi I think they are still not permitted for hunting in the late season.
YES , the peep sight is a legal sight for the pa flintlock season. the change to make them legal was before the 08 season for sure.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
LONEWOLF5347 said:
I find to drill 2 new holes for the rear peep about 1/2" from the front tang screw other wise you have to dig into the stock for good eye placement
Yes you do have to drill and tap two new mounting holes , i used tape to hold the sight on and kept sholdering the gun until the sight felt right for me and than marked and drilled and tapped it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
45-70bpcr said:
YES , the peep sight is a legal sight for the pa flintlock season. the change to make them legal was before the 08 season for sure.
I stand corrected. Thanks! Now I want one for my Great Plains

·
Registered
12,857 Posts
I`ve been thinking of putting one on my T/C Flinter. I think T/C may even make one to go right on with the 2 tang screws? I know they use to. I love the Peep and Globe on my H&R BC 45/70.

·
Banned
900 Posts
The model# for the Lyman Peep sight is: 57. If your GPR was manufactured before 1997 you will have to drill (1) hole. If it is newer you will not have to drill any and the instructions come with it for installation and it is as easy as changing the screw lenght of one tang screw and utilizing the small machine screw hole that is located between the 2 tangs screws. I have a left handed Lyman GPR with the Lyman no.57 peep sight. The above info about mounting is taken from the lit that came with the sight.

I really like mine and I took some advice from "Tundragriz" here on this sight about the front sight. He advised not to use the target globe sight due to issues with low light. I did purchase the target globe front sight from him but ...he was right and I eventually replaced it with the fiber optic I was using.

IMHO the sight is fantastic at the range and also in good bright light situations. I was preparing for a bear hunt in Maine all summer shooting at the range in good light situations. Then, one late afternoon 2 days before I left I walked out in the early evening light and found I had great difficulty seeing well enough to get a good sight picture. Worried about the conditions in Maine I changed back to the fiber optics.

I have nothing but praise for the sight itself and spent in the area of $80 for it. The nice thing is I can switch out to the peep from the fiber optics in the field with 2 screw drivers if lighting is an issue. I hope to give them a try this season in snowy conditions where light should not be a factor. If not I'll keep the fiber optics on. I found that you also can use the peeps with the fiber otics still on the gun. You can actually see them through the peep.

I was shooting 1"- 1 1/2" groups at 50yds with consistancy with the peeps. I think they also helped my groups with the FO also but that may just be due to burning powder with more regularity that I usually do!! I shot alot getting ready for that hunt.
Lyman Item# 3090112, Receiver sight - 57 GPR

If I can offer you any more help with this let me know!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank you for the info for the Great Plains. Love the rifle and have a number of other guns with peep/tang sights and think it would help with it. The kicker being as you mentioned seeing them in the woods in low light. My rifle is drilled for it already so good to go there. Curious if it is folded down if it will be out of the way of my face to allow shooting with the buckhorn if the light was poor?

·
Banned
900 Posts
You simply depress a button and it slides up and off the gun. The mouting base remains but it it not in any way obstructing.

There are set screws on the sight itself that keep the settings in place even after it is removed. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
45-70bpcr said:
OH really? That seemed to slip by the papers... I wasn't aware of that for Late season FlintLock.. oh well they only publish what's NOT ALLOWED any more...

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
magikk said:
Do you have to remove the original rear site to use aprrp site on a T/C renagade.Thanks Mike
I suppose you wouldnt have to remove the sight but in my opinion it would give you a cluttered sight picture , I did remove mine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts