The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ONLY use a flintlock in rifle season...as in not taking a rifle...?

Or only take a rifle in very nasty weather??

I'm pretty sure the druggies are wrong...heroin or meth or whatever they claim to be the most addictive drug is NOT....black powder has it beat hands down...

I've toted my flinter a few times in rifle but always have that "ahhh better be safe to sorry" thing in the back of my head...

After shooting a spring gobbler with the fowler and building the half stock now...i think I'm done carrying a rifle unless it's raining sideways...or I'm frustrated for some odd reason...

Really...I've killed...I've lost track..10-20 deer with my flinter...2 bucks...and now a spring gobbler in the rain...

Why do I have some weird voodoo about carrying it in rifle season??

I've never shot a deer in rifle season I couldn't have shot with my flintlock...i rarely ever send more than 1 shot....

I think I just have to DO it and get it out of my head and smile for the pics of the bucks I pile up with the flinter..

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I used to take my flinter out in rifle season now and then but since it had a rifled barrel it qualifies as a rifle. Sounds like you flint lock is a smooth bore. What is your effective range for deer with it?

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually have a 50cal Hawken that's been my deer flintlock for a long while now...

Have a Fowler that is for shot only...

And building another 50cal with a fast twist barrel for deer

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I haven't taken the flinter out in rifle season mainly to me orange and flintlocks don't go together.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
410-er said:
I haven't taken the flinter out in rifle season mainly to me orange and flintlocks don't go together.
Well you could imagine that you were a member of the Kings 1St Regiment of Foot or some such outfit and justify the bright colors this way. Just a suggestion

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I hunt area 5C, which is special regs, where no center fire rifles allowed. I prefer to carry the flintlock rather than use a slug gun. I don't like slug guns

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
been carrying a flintlock in rifle season for about 25 years. if the weather was really bad, I would sit in one of our tree houses. otherwise I was out and about.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figured there was some of you that did!

Never thought of the orange...but at the end of the day that doesn't bother me...i wear it most of bow season even if not required...

Don't get me wrong...after a long frustrating bow season I love nothing more than a good bang splat rifle season...but..i absolutely love hunting with a flintlock...

Pretty sure as I continue on it'll be my primary weapon for everything...killing that spring gobbler with the fowler put me over the edge...and.... building my first rifle...i think killing critters with that will be very satisfying...

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Mauser06, You are not quite over the edge yet, just at the precipice...

A .32 or .36 rocklock for treerats will assist with a gentle push!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh it'll come I'm sure! Lol

I don't do much tree that huntin...bow season eats up my time...

Would make a dandy coon rifle as well though!! A flintlock at night shooting coon from a tree top with open sights...i better pack numerous reloads! Lol .

I am thinking a big bore long rifle for the next build...but somewhere in the future I do want a small bore...

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Retired_Rusty said:
Mauser06, You are not quite over the edge yet, just at the precipice...

A .32 or .36 rocklock for treerats will assist with a gentle push!
a .32 makes a heck of a woodchuck rifle! my goal is 50 this year.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've taken a few groundhogs with my Hawken.

If I get the new rifle done before fall (and I should....lol) I plan to take it for some groundhog action!

My buddies have issues with their flintlocks...as do many hunters... ignition and accuracy...i did at first too...but devoted a summer to shooting it...and shot some groundhogs with it..burnt up a decent bit of powder that summer...but I had fun and learned my rifle....

I enjoy whacking them at 200-300+yds with the 22-250...but I like to take the flintlock and other big game rifles to stay in practice with other guns..

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
What do you guys have against a 40?

That's what I have in mind for my rodent basher....

I've been giving some thought to taking the flintlock in rifle season lately. I have 7 Winchester Model 70's that I love to hunt with. I hate leaving them sit. Truly.

What really baffles me is that I have a metric ton of centerfire hunting rifles, and I'm contemplating flintlocks I want, and I have one bow. And bow season is the longest, by far, lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been shooting the same bow since 2006...every hear I saw I'm gunna buy a new one...and never do lol...itd be wise to have a back up bow...the season is long...and bows can go down..Nick the string with a broadhead or something and you might be done unless you have one on hand...(I do keep an extra string lol). But getting something fixed during the season can be tough if you need it ordered or done by a shop...

Are 40cals legal?? For some reason I think small game is 36cal but maybe not..i don't know...that sticks in my head..

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
mauser06 said:
Are 40cals legal?? For some reason I think small game is 36cal but maybe not..i don't know...that sticks in my head...
40 cal. and below ML rifle and handgun, is allowed for small game. At least last year they were.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
if the .40 cal was legal for deer, I would have one. the .32 is very effective on woodchucks out to 100 yards and a great squirrel round. no sense shooting more lead and powder if you don't have to.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
In some states the 32 is legal for deer.
No doubt in my mind a 36 would do the job.Remember on another muzzy site a woman killed a couple Elk with her 36 years ago.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm with Mauser I am in the process of saving the money and aquiring the parts for my first build. Going to be a JP Beck style in either .54 or .58 or a fowler in .58 or .62 I can't decide, but I am very close to never using a center fire rifle for hunting ever a gun. Got bit by the bug 3 years ago and its only gotten worse. When I go to the range I usually only bring the flinter and if I bring something else it is the .22 in order to work on something in particular. Currently it is off-hand shooting and open sights. Cheap training for the flintlock. My plan is to own 3 nice flintlocks we'll see how the first build goes I may end up building them all. But I will own a.54 or .58 rifle, a .58 or .62 smoothy, and a .36 or .40 rifle. Guys it sounds like it is too late for me an Mauser you'd better save yourselves while you still can :)

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
got "bit by the bug" in 1978 with my first kit gun. started using ML for everything in about 1990 and haven't looked back. its always been a lot of fun hunting with others with their scoped magnums and modern shotguns.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts