The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Any flintlock should be good. Because of the weight, there is not much kick when shooting. A custom build would even be better because of the balance of the gun. Holds steady real easy holding it freehand.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Take a look sat the Traditions Deerhunter. It's a good entry level muzzleloader. It's shorter barrel gives it a more balanced feel for a small framed shooter. It's also a little lighter than most.
If you would prefer to upgrade, the Lyman Deer Stalker is a great choice. My wife loves her Lyman Deer Stalker.
You may need to have the stock shortened on any rifle you choose to get a good fit.
Best bet is to go to a shop that has a variety and let her shoulder a few.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
HSY93 said:
Any suggestions for what gun a young lady could use that would not be too cumbersome.
Depends on how young. Kids are kids and a lot of people will cut one down. Upper body strength/LOP ...kids have these issues. However, don't underestimate due to a girl vs a boy. Or, a grown ladies ability to use the same flintlock/caliber a man uses.

In customs, the Upper Susquehanna is great choice if someone prefers a smaller architecture. With the castings being smaller, the flow of the build is smaller as all dimensions flow into them.

If ever somewhere when Reeves Goring is selling his wares, have him show you his Upper Susquehanna butt plates and trigger guard to see what I mean.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I sold it on here this past summer but my wife used a TC Renegade that I modified. I cut the metal buttplate off, shortened up the length of pull a little due to late season heavy clothes, and put on a recoil pad.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have loved to have one like it for her.I have a Renegade, but replaced the brl. with a Green Mtn. round ball barrel.Sold the original brl.or would have maybe built one.Cool looking deer she got.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Also look for a carbine model like a Pa hunter Carbine or the Traditions Buckstalker.They are real nice short versions and don,t neglect a pistol like a Traditions Trapper in .50 cal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts