The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was approached about buying an ardesa 50 cal flintlock, the gun is 6/10 . I never heard of the brand but the gun does spark. The gun needs cleaned and a little tlc. I can get the rifle, all the supplies, 2 powder horns of powder, 70-80 round balls for $75. I never heard of this brand of rifle? Input please?

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Don’t have too much to loose for $75. I’ve never heard of one either. But I’d say if the bore looks ok why not. If all else fails clean her up and throw it on penns woods for $100 and take $80!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said the gun was shot 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've never heard of that brand. However, several years ago I did read about some "Spanish made flintlock barrels" that were sub-par and had splits occur when fired.

Now, I'm not saying it was this 6/10 brand, and I cannot recall what brand it was.

However, it's MHO that usually you can pick up a Thompson Center flinter for about $200. While it's true that the T\C's have their quirks (replace the frizzen with a Lyman for longevity) if your going to spend $75....you may as well spend another $125 and have something you know is decent....and if you decide flintlock is not your game, you can always recoup your investment.

FWIW

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I was approached about buying an ardesa 50 cal flintlock, the gun is 6/10 . I never heard of the brand but the gun does spark. The gun needs cleaned and a little tlc. I can get the rifle, all the supplies, 2 powder horns of powder, 70-80 round balls for $75. I never heard of this brand of rifle? Input please?
Heard of Ardesa guns as said made in Spain. Not much at risk for $75 with powerhorns, powder, 80 roundballs plus accessories.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Not much at risk for $75 with powerhorns, powder, 80 roundballs plus accessories.
That. And who knows, it might be a rifle worth having.

Reactions: good ole boy

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Agree! Why throw good money on an unknown or junk. If the seller is only asking $75 bucks, what do you think your getting.

BUYER BEWARE :surprise2:
Sometimes the case...sometimes not...seller may be hungry. IMO talking peanuts considering 2 powder horns, powder, roundballs, accessories...plus gun. Pending powder horns...2 may be worth close to $75 w/powder.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy selling the rifle doesn’t appear to know much about guns from what I can see, he said he doesn’t use it and just wants to sell it. He doesn’t have anything to hide and I actually inquired about another gun initially. The gun is a wood stalk with brass, I am buying it on Saturday, I’ll shoot it, carry it this year and see what I think. I was going to buy roundballs because I am out anyways so in reality the isn’t even $75 after you deduct what I would be spending on roundball.

I always have my Lyman to fall back on if need be.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Ardesa manufactured a few later model CVA traditional (flint and cap) muzzleloaders, before CVA quit them, and went strictly modern front stuffers. And when CVA sold some trad. models, like the Frontier and Mt. rifle to Traditions, Ardesa made them for a bit. Not sure if any of Traditions trad. or modern guns are made now by Ardesa or not.

For that price point, and it has a clean bore (no rust or rings) and good sparky lock, it is a win-win! When I say rings, push a patched jag down the barrel then slowly back out. Make sure it is the same resistance end to end.

If You want to make it better later on for under $200 more, check out L&R Locks. They make two patterns of RPL locks that fit CVA/Traditions guns. The right one is dependent on the two different lock plate patterns CVA/Traditions used/uses.

Reactions: jimsdad

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the guy could use the money so I’m buying it regardless, I will take a better look At it when I bring it home and clean it up. I think the gun is simply a victim to people not taking as good of care of their firearms as I do.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
After you pick up your rifle on Saturday, I think the traditional shooters here would enjoy seeing some photos of your good deal. And, the results of your first range session would be interesting. Congratulations on finding what might be a special opportunity in adding to your collection. Good luck during the late season.:smile2:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After you pick up your rifle on Saturday, I think the traditional shooters here would enjoy seeing some photos of your good deal. And, the results of your first range session would be interesting. Congratulations on finding what might be a special opportunity in adding to your collection. Good luck during the late season.

I most certainly will do that , I will take a picture of every step along the way. I told my cousin about it and he said you keep the accessories and he will take the gun for $75 if I don’t like it, so I have nothing to lose only a rifle to gain. The family needs money so I am probably gonna give him a little more than what he is asking. Like they say everyone is fighting a battle we know nothing about.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Ardesa manufactured a few later model CVA traditional (flint and cap) muzzleloaders, before CVA quit them, and went strictly modern front stuffers. And when CVA sold some trad. models, like the Frontier and Mt. rifle to Traditions, Ardesa made them for a bit. Not sure if any of Traditions trad. or modern guns are made now by Ardesa or not.

For that price point, and it has a clean bore (no rust or rings) and good sparky lock, it is a win-win! When I say rings, push a patched jag down the barrel then slowly back out. Make sure it is the same resistance end to end.

If You want to make it better later on for under $200 more, check out L&R Locks. They make two patterns of RPL locks that fit CVA/Traditions guns. The right one is dependent on the two different lock plate patterns CVA/Traditions used/uses.
I couldn,t remember where i heard of Ardesa.But then I remembered when I read your usual informative post.:wink2:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Even if it's not the nicest, if you can work up a decent load for it...for 75 bucks it might be worth having around..maybe not even for you. There always seems to be someone that would like to try hunting with the rocklock....if it's safe and reliable that'd be a good candidate for a newbie loaner

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I should ask how I post pics on here ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I couldn,t remember where i heard of Ardesa.But then I remembered when I read your usual informative post.
I have a 10 month old son , don’t worry he is the reason I was even interested to begin with, cannot wait for what the future will hold.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts