The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site so if I am doing anything wrong please be patient while I figure this out.
I wanted to introduce my son (14 years old) to Flintlock hunting. I have been away from it for a long time and hoping I could get some advice.
I have a .50 cal CVA Hawken, I believe it has a 1:48 barrel twist. When I last shot regularly, options were limited, patched round ball and black powder, that was about it. With all the projectile options and powder substitutes on the market I am bit confused.
The goal is to get my son shooting accurately enough out to 50 yards to deer hunt this Fall. Can anyone provide some advice as to what load, projectile and powder combination has worked for them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,619 Posts
I have always found that good ole blackpowder is still best in flintlocks. The 1/48 is a compromise twist. If you want to move away from patched round balls, lighter, shorter projectiles will generally pattern better. I have found the 245 grain Powerbelt Aerotips to be my best grouping projectile in my 1/48.

I shoot from 90-100 grains of 2F.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Stick with "real" black powder for your flinter. You won't be sorry. You will get faster ignition with it. Wipe after each shot with a "spit" patch and follow with two dry patches. You will find you will be more consistent with your accuracy. While the imitations brag more shots between cleaning you will have better results with the real powder.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I appreciate your time and advice. I was leaning toward staying with black powder. What kind of patches work best with true black powder and a round ball? When I was shooting in the past I never did figure out the right "patching". I would use whatever I could find, no real consistency. Reading on the site I am realizing that was probably a mistake.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Patches can vary from gun to gun. My 50 likes .495 round balls and pillow ticking cut patches. I think they are close to 15 thousands thick. For hunting I use 90 grns of 2F.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Being from Bucks Co., you and your son owe it to yourselves to drive up to Dixon's Muzzleloader Shop north of Kutztown. Greg now runs the shop, but Chuck is usually somewhere nearby, and both will answer any and all questions you may have about flintlocks and how to feed them.

Go to their website for directions off I78.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts