The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 2014 flintlock buck skull back the other day!

Happy with how it turned out...first time having anything done by someone with beetles...my simmered skulls have been hit or miss..I have a couple really nice and a couple that are falling apart...didn't want this one to fall apart..my biggest buck to date...and with a flintlock...

Need to get it on the wall...or make a base for it...not sure what I wanna do yet...might make a base for it to sit on my dresser...I have others hung against a buck hide on the top of the dresser mirror..no room for more..and made a wood plaque for another on the wall I like..might take that design and turn it into a pedistal base...

Not a monster...but a good PA mountain buck with the flintlock and a hunt shared with a couple of my best friends...a day I won't forget...shot a doe stand hunti g earlier that morning and a my buddies had to leave camp that evening...we decided to try one quick push...we never did it before...but our hunch was spot on as the buck and numerous deer came out of the push

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx guys!!

I debated highly about a shoulder mount...if his cape wasn't nasty I likely would have...almost looked like mange on his face...it was odd..it would have made the mount look terrible...and I dont wanna buy a cape...i figured with a professionally done skull I can always take a cape off another buck I kill and use it if I want...but I like the skull....

Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday while I am off I can get something made for a mount....

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I concur, awesome!

I have the same dilemma. Thinking about using some old weathered oak fence boards from the farm as a backdrop/mount plate for the 4 I have to mount. Maybe a vertically staggered set of boards? I also gave thought to setting them up on a weathered post and rail recreation.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
My B-I-L did this for me on this years rifle buck. I should take a finished product photo now that the lamp shade is on and it's in my my man cave.

Excuse the clutter on his counter top.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! That's a cool idea! Did he fish the wire through the arrow??

Turkey hunting is whooping my butt...I'm not getting much else done besides a few hours of sleep and work...

I love/hate May lol...haven't gotten to chase birds since 2009...

That's the ones on the mirror on a buck hide...

One I got craft for...hard to tell but the bottom sits about 6" off the wall so its angled...gives it a nice look...

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Congrats on a great
and the euro looks nice. IMO a buck fitting of a shoulder mount and of course you can always do that later. Good huntin'

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's gunna be hard to top with the flintlock...he is my 2nd flintlock buck...hard part is having a tag by then...the other is seeing a legal buck...let alone a good one..

I did rough measure him at 105" gross..not bad for a 7pt..

Had his face not been messed up I'd probably done a shoulder mount off the bat...forehead was sunken in (which looked kinda cool..and surprised to see no bone damage). And the hide was all nasty...dry scabby looking..missing some hair etc...

The skull mount probably makes him look bigger than he is...good buck...my biggest and I'm still thrilled I put him down...

Seeing that rack flopping after the smoke cleared was an amazing feeling...then the radio goes nuts...that had to be Mauser and I know he only had a buck tag left!!!! We were all fired up...especially me...I had VERY little time to archery and rifle hunt...very little time to flintlock hunt...I thought it'd be a sad season...turns out it was my best lol...shot a doe that morning with the flinter...then him..then new years day I smoked another doe with the flintlock...

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
mauser06 said:
Wow! That's a cool idea! Did he fish the wire through the arrow??
He did. There was an article in outdoor life that walked you through the process. I can try to grab it if you want. Fantastic buck by the way!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx!

Dont worry about it! If I ever get that crafty "I will figure it out...". Or google it...or PM you lol...should be simple enough...

·
Registered
7,050 Posts

<span style="font-weight: bold">What You Need</span>
Skull mount
Shed antler
3/16 x 2 1/2-inch toggle bolt ($3; lowes.com)
12-inch all-thread lamp pipe ($7; homedepot.com)
Aluminum arrow
Three-way socket kit ($12.50; homedepot.com)
Lampshade ($15; walmart.com)

Step 1: Lay the shed antler on a flat work surface with the points down, and file the tips until it sits level with no wobble.

Step 2: Drill a hole through the center of the shed and into the bottom of the deer skull. Secure them together with a toggle bolt.

Step 3: Drill a hole through the top of the skull for the lamp pipe. Secure it with the lamp kit’s locknuts, and shim it straight with a sliver of wood.

Step 4: Using a Dremel rotary tool or a hacksaw, cut your arrow to the length of the exposed lamp pipe. Then, cut a slit down the full length of the arrow, and sheath it over the pipe.

Step 5: Run the lamp cord through the base of the skull and up the pipe. Attach it to the bulb socket, and screw the socket and halo to the pipe. Top it off with an appropriately rustic shade. (Bonus points: Make your own from brain-tanned buckskin.)

LINK --> http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2015/02/project-how-to-make-your-own-euro-skull-lamp

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
mauser06 said:
He's gunna be hard to top with the flintlock...he is my 2nd flintlock buck...hard part is having a tag by then...the other is seeing a legal buck...let alone a good one..

I did rough measure him at 105" gross..not bad for a 7pt..

Had his face not been messed up I'd probably done a shoulder mount off the bat...forehead was sunken in (which looked kinda cool..and surprised to see no bone damage). And the hide was all nasty...dry scabby looking..missing some hair etc...

The skull mount probably makes him look bigger than he is...good buck...my biggest and I'm still thrilled I put him down...

Seeing that rack flopping after the smoke cleared was an amazing feeling...then the radio goes nuts...that had to be Mauser and I know he only had a buck tag left!!!! We were all fired up...especially me...I had VERY little time to archery and rifle hunt...very little time to flintlock hunt...I thought it'd be a sad season...turns out it was my best lol...shot a doe that morning with the flinter...then him..then new years day I smoked another doe with the flintlock...
You have every right to be proud of that buck! 105" buck in PA is a darn good buck Maybe able to get you a cape if your interested? Good huntin'

1 - 20 of 23 Posts