The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this bachelor group of bucks one morning last week and hunted this spot Wednesday and saw a group of does. I decided to hunt a pinch point next to a thick bedding and with this strong west wind thought I could get in a tree where deer could quarter into this wind and not get winded. About 4:00 four bucks came through like they were on a mission and two looked really nice and believe both were 10 points, but could not get them to stop in an opening for a clear shot. I could not believe they got past me and nothing. A minute later I heard a deer walking and here comes a fifth buck and he was only 30 yards, a mouth grunt stopped him and my T/C 50 cal Hawkens loaded with a round ball did the job. I watched him fall from my stand. Nice 9 point and couldn't be happier with a true Pa. trophy. Thanks to little bone for helping the old man get him out of the woods.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
WOW! I am a smidgeon jealous! Late season can be tough, but you really have it figured out. CONGRADULATIONS on a very nice deer!

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone I don't ever remember seeing a group of bucks like that in late season. That was also my first buck from a tree stand using the flintlock.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Congrats!!! Flintlock bucks are definitely pretty special!

I've seen late season "bachelor groups" a few times...once in rifle season too. Seems like once the testosterone dies down, they become buddies again. Everytime I've seen it, I couldn't believe my eyes lol. Especially in the late season. Grinding it out hoping to see a buck and out of nowhere a bunch of them come by lol.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts