The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the beginning. 50 Caliber rifled barrel. 12.5" long. Machined from Octagon to round with it being swamped. Pic is tough to see that. Rifled barrel. I wanted to be able to put an 80gr. charge of FF BP under a 240gr. Conical.

The stock will be walnut and all furniture will be black. I don't expect to be shootin until the fall.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original barrel is a DeHaas and the fellow doing the "rough work" (machining and rough stock work, pinning the barrel to the stock, rough cutting the lock work) is Bruce Everhart.

I was considering getting a kit from Jim Chambers, but from what I understand, it was going to be anywhere from 9 to 12 months just to get the barrel. I have some patience....but not that much.

Dave

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Yikes!!! I just read your other post and responded... I can't wait that long either, but I guess I better be prepared for it now. I wonder if I can get a roughed out stock from Dixons and maybe sell the one from Chambers when I get it? I can't see why Chambers would not send me the furnature. Maybe I 'll call them about this.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim,

I think the rifle barrels were OK. It was Jim Chambers pistol barrels that were gonna take forever. I wanted to have this pistol ready for the 2010 hunting season.....not the 2011 or even the 2012 season. Heck....I might be dead by then!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Nice looking barrel. Can't wait to se the rest of the gun.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Octagon----Yeah, that ring is what he calls a "Cannon Muzzle"

Retiredusn---I figure I shoot my Contender 14" barrel handguns (Actually they are really hand-rifles) with pretty good accuracy. So I'll see how this flinter goes.

Jimsdad--- Bad Karma....Yeah, I'm with ya! I'll knock that stuff off!!

Dave

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did you do any research on the load you plan to use? The reason I ask is that I am interested in building a hunting pistol too.

At Lewisburg last week I ask around about how much powder you can burn in a pistol barrel. Chris Atland makes a 10" kit (not legal for hunting in PA) and he estimated about 40 grains is he most powder that will burn. The rest will just blow out the barrel. Mark Wheland was involved in the conversation and he agreed. Jim Chambers kit is a 13" barrel. He told me about 50 grains was max, although he admitted this was a guess. I couldn't find anybody who actually tested this with a chronograph.

If anyone has done this the results would be interesting.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.