The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using for Flints?

I have had luck on the Renegade with French and Black English. Have yet to replace the flint on my Deerstalker.

Bunky has a flint or two I am going to get from him to try, I'll see how they work. Pretty excited to try one when this one goes.

What are you guys using with success?

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it depends on how many times you shoot...

The one that came on the gun, I fired about 20 times, and dry fired about 5 to properly set it and check for spark.

I read somewheres you can expect about 80-100 good sparked shots off a quality flint.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I usually get about 80 shots out of a Black English.I think French Amber gives a little more spark but doesn't last as long.I will be experimenting with 3 doz American Chert I bought.The cut German agate only last about 20 shots for me.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I like the English, French, and thirdly TC--Rich Pierce from the other site I mentioned makes his own--I have not tried them yet but I hear they are not bad?

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had some junks flints on the TC a few years back. A buddy gave them to me. Not sure what they were, they looked alot like the Black English I used and had success with, but definately weren't the same type of flint.

They cracked and lasted around 15 drops on the hammer.

I don't mind paying a tad extra for a quality flint that'll throw a decent spark and last awhile.

For hunting purposes, I'd throw on a flint that'll throw good spark.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I use Black English for heavy range work. Normally German Agate in the field. Its spark shower is second to none in tuff conditions IMO.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I use chert from Rich Pierce. A proper size flint is just as important as what rock you use. I got two different sizes from Rich awhile back. The smaller ones would chip and break on the edge way to much. The larger ones that would barely clear the frizzen when seated all the way to the screw are the ones that worked the best. For my lock they are 7/8" long.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The L&R lock , on my .45 Flinter does not like the Rich Pierce Flints. Have really good luck using Black English and the Frenchies. Now my other Flinter, Frankenstein, loves the Pierce Flints. It will throw sparks that are still sparking down to the floor!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I have been using these flints in my .45 long rifle, the only place you can get them is from DIxie Gun Works, they are called american gun flints.....they look awful but they spark really really well.......

I also have had good luck with black english flints......

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
Heck, get one of those Uranium frizzens that was on the market 20 years ago, and a piece of limestone would cause bright blue sparks that could be heard sizzling in the pan for about 4 seconds. I had a gun with such a frizzen sold it. 12 ga smooth bore.

The type of flint that works best, depends somewhat on the quality of steel in the frizzen. A really top notch lock with a proper steel frizzen does well with Black English and French Amber flints. A case hardened soft steel frizzen usually does better with a cut agate flint. Just this season I had to change the flint in my Smooth bore. I used that same black english flint for target shooting, and hunting for almost 20 years. Probably over 300 shots with it.

I've heard guys saying they got 15 or 20 shots and some target shooters can fire 100's on one flint. I think the lock geometry has alot to do with it.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
i used to be in lover with black english...i tried some of the cheap agates you can buy and they are all junk...

i then shelled out the cash for a high dollar german agate...that thing was like 5+$ for 1 flint! with the edge up like i shoot the black english, it didnt do much...with the edge down, its amazing...and doesnt wear hardly at all...i need to send my lock out to TC as its the old style and has a bad angle and it eats black english in a few shots typically...that german agate i have, its amazing...i need to find me another one or 2...i need to head to the muzzleloading shop as that is the absolute last shootable flint i own...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Often times it's not the flint but rather the compatibility of the flint to the frizzen. You may find a particular lock that works great with one type of flint while another will only throw good sparks with another type. The flint must be harder than the frizzen as it needs to shave bits of steel off the frizzen creating the red-hot sparks. A flint that is too-hard in relation to the frizzen will tend to chop grooves in the frizzen and won't spark well if at all. A flint that is too-soft in relation to the frizzen won't spark well and will often wear quickly. Natural variations in any particular type of flint may cause one piece to not work but fifty others will work well. Flints, even cut agate, can be easily re-sharpened with diamond hones

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've used the german agates since I bought my renegade in 1982,may be a frek but Ive only replaced the frizzen once.They are the only stone that gives a good spark in my gun.

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
Yep Bullfrog, on case hardened soft steel frizzens, agates seem to work better. To my knowledge all TC flinters have case hardened frizzens. Except those that have been converted to Lyman frizzens, or have been half soled.

If a person has a TC, by all means use agate. However, if they have a frizzen that is made of better steel, ( Chambers, L&R, Lyman, tradition, etcc) English flint or French Ambers are a better choice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts