The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When purchasing Flints, is a 3/4" Flint 3/4" in length or is that measurement across the striking surface??

I'm looking for small Flints to fit into a traditions lock, any info would be appreciated. What kind to buy, where to buy.... Anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Gun at half cock measure from frizzen to back of the screw that tightens your jaws.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Reactions: blackpowder

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I'm good for the first day, I have some I modified to work, just don't want to do it again. I wanted to find some that must got my gun. Thanks again.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Traditions uses dinky little locks on their rifles, more suited to pistols really than rifles. They take little 5/8ths square flints. The first measurement is the width, followed by the length. I second Track of the Wolf for English flints. Very good quality. I did have one issue one time though. I ordered 3/4 by 7/8ths flints for my Siler and L&R locks and they sent me 3/4 square. I returned them.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you run into flints that don't quite fit your lock ,here is a way to make alterations that is fast and easy. These wheels can also be used to re-sharpen the flat cut flints to a better edge than they had from new. I have some English flints that are too long for my lock and I just cut a groove in the rear to fit around the top jaw screw, works like a charm.

Here's what you need.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mizzy+wheel

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
If you run into flints that don't quite fit your lock ,here is a way to make alterations that is fast and easy. These wheels can also be used to re-sharpen the flat cut flints to a better edge than they had from new. I have some English flints that are too long for my lock and I just cut a groove in the rear to fit around the top jaw screw, works like a charm.

Here's what you need.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mizzy+wheel
I've done the same thing using my Dremel tool and an angled grinding head. I grind a spot on the back of the flint round just enough to allow it to fir properly in the jaws. With the larger locks on my kit guns though I normally don't have to do this, but for my Lyman flintlock I sometimes have to.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I have a large siler lock, don't have any worries, lol....yes track has good flints....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts